Dwarf Puffers in large(er) community tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Barkington
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)

Dwarf Puffers in large(er) community tank?

I am planning on setting up a 20 long at some point for three dwarf puffers and three otos in a densly planted tank. In the mean time, I have a 40g breeder with a five guppies, four corys, and eight khuli loaches that has recently been set up. It is a walstad tank so it has plenty of plant cover to take care of possible aggression and for the otos to feed on once there is a nice coat of food for 'em.

Anywho, I was curious as to what people's thoughts were on keeping dwarf puffers in a large(er) community such as a 40 breeder while there isn't too much of a community in it.
As a side note, I do plan on moving the guppies into their own tank and replacing them with either Chili Rasboras or Cardinal Tetras when funds allow.
Barkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

If you check out puffer forums the consensus is generally that they need a species specific tank. That said, I have a single male that does okay in a community setting. He'll chase other fish away from his territory, but doesn't harass them or anything. I'm not openly recommending it, but I think it can work depending on the personality of your individual puffer(s).
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
If you check out puffer forums the consensus is generally that they need a species specific tank. That said, I have a single male that does okay in a community setting. He'll chase other fish away from his territory, but doesn't harass them or anything. I'm not openly recommending it, but I think it can work depending on the personality of your individual puffer(s).
I've heard that they can be nippy.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I have mine in with minnows. the dp may attack other fish but I'm always worried that they are too slow to get any food.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
LopezTheHero
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have 2 dwarf puffers in a 20 High tank with 14 other tetras, a dwarf frog, and shrimp. They're perfectly amicable with the other inhabitants. Actually, it's my tetras that are the aggressive ones. Usually between themselves, but they'll go after a shrimp or puffer every now and then, just for a moment.

I think the understanding of puffers as being aggressive is commonly considered universal, when in reality it might only happen ever now and then. They're fascinating fish, with actual personalities, some are shy some are aggressive. One seems to be horrified by me and always freaks out when I look in the tank, while the other just passively chills. I love these fish.
LopezTheHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

They will still nip fins. I had 2 dwarf puffers in my planted 75g. Everyones fins looked horrible.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Barkington
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)

I am not sure if this is a mistake, but it appears that the dwarf puffers site has been taken down and had been my foundation of "research" into the subject. I was hoping that giving 3 puffers 15-20 gallons of water should give em plenty of room to stretch their fins. I have about 80-90% of the tank floor covered in plants too (when looking from above) so I'm hoping there will be enough hiding places. Eventually, the tank will house a few rams so I already have two small clay pots for caves and a hollow branchy piece of driftwood. The guppies safety is a serious concern but I'm not too worried about tetras and rasboras. Ima really have to keep my eye on the tank it seems. If it doesn't work out, I have a 15g I can either put the guppies or puffers in.

Thanks for the input, e'rybody
Barkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I think otis are generally okay with DP's.

Check out The Puffer Forum!

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote