substrate for 180 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
maxxximus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

substrate for 180 gallon

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this site for quite awhile. I was a member years ago when I was trying to figure out how to successfully keep a planted tank. Thanks to people on here I was able to maintain many smaller planted tanks in the 30-55 gallon range. Meanwhile I have been keeping large cichlids and other large fish in a bare 180 gallon. I was on the verge of selling it when someone suggested I turn it into a high tech planted tank. I did my reasearch and sold off my big fish to get started.
At the moment I'm struggling to find a substrate that suits my needs. It needs to be affordable and I would like a small grain size. I'm keeping some clown loaches and I would like for them to forage naturally. I've considered capping potting soil with Eco complete but I'm concerned about gas pockets forming. I've seen some people using turface and I don't know much about it other than it has a high Cec. If anyone has any suggestions for a decent substrate ideas that's affordable and will have a good Cec for a tank this size please, I'm all ears. Sorry for being long-winded, and thanks in advance.
maxxximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Gas bubbles in MGO aren't an issue if you either heavily plant with plants that develop decent root networks or if you just poke the substrate with a stick once a month
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

put some Green Brochis in there at least 7 they pick at the bottom and release food stuck.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Gas bubbles in MGO aren't an issue if you either heavily plant with plants that develop decent root networks or if you just poke the substrate with a stick once a month
In a healthy soil substrate this shouldn't even really be necessary.

Check your local hardware stores, tractor supply, etc.. they'll have plenty of colors and grain sizes of sand and sts.

Fishy poo in the substrate adds some cec as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
RyUGuy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Check your local hardware stores, tractor supply, etc.. they'll have plenty of colors and grain sizes of sand and sts.
Agreed, I am switching out my gravel for STS this weekend. Although I don't have any prior experience with it a lot of people on here say it works great. I have been precycling/ prefertilizing it in a tank and I have to say I really like the look of it. $4.99 at Tractor Supply for 40lbs is awesome!
RyUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Honestly... if you're going high tech with a tank that size. I would do it right the first time and spend the money! It is a PITA to break down a 180g tank. Trust me, I know!

If I had to redo my 180g, I would go with ADA aquasoil. You'll love how your plants will grow.

Eco complete will work fine, it is a little more affordable.

Nothing is "cheap" when you have a tank that size.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
maxxximus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
Honestly... if you're going high tech with a tank that size. I would do it right the first time and spend the money! It is a PITA to break down a 180g tank. Trust me, I know!

If I had to redo my 180g, I would go with ADA aquasoil. You'll love how your plants will grow.

Eco complete will work fine, it is a little more affordable.

Nothing is "cheap" when you have a tank that size.
Yeah I did the math on the aquasoil and its over $ 400. I agree doing it right the first time but that's a tough one.
maxxximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use Black Diamond blasting media found at "Tractor supply" $8.00 U.S. dollar's for 50 lbs.
Cory's,pleco's, have been fine with this substrate for a couple year's now.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxximus View Post
Yeah I did the math on the aquasoil and its over $ 400. I agree doing it right the first time but that's a tough one.
It really depends on your goal at the end of the day with the question being- will the focus on fish or plants. Sure it is costly, but you'll appreciate the end results with regards to plant health.

Growing plants anyone can do, but growing healthy plants in regular substrate isn't easy, especially with some of the more difficult plants. It is doable with some know how and many are doing it, but not everyone has the knack to make that happen. Having a good base will make it a lot easier.

The Junkie

Last edited by mrkookm; 02-13-2013 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: ...
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.