How rare are female 'mustard gas' bettas?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

How rare are female 'mustard gas' bettas?

I stopped by my LFS yesterday, and took a quick look at the betta selection. They had a few nice males, including a couple of plakats, but it was the females I found that interested me. Since there's plenty of room in my community, I decided to buy both of them.
One is a nice little crowntail piebald, mostly light blue-green with a few white markings and a red tail, and the other is what I believe to be a mustard gas betta.
She was listed as a veiltail and probably is, judging by the longish, slightly doubled tail. Her body is very dark blue, almost black, and her fins are light yellow with thin black edges.
I Googled 'female mustard gas betta' and got very few pictures of blue and yellow female bettas, so I'm guessing they're kind of rare. Is this true?
Also, the blue on piebald keeps changing from light green-blue to blue-purple, does this mean anything in particular?
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I pay about $5 or less plus shipping for halfmoon mustard gas Plakats so I'd have to say no
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

I know the males are fairly common, but I've never seen a female before. It doesn't matter if she's rare, I'm just curious.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
I know the males are fairly common, but I've never seen a female before. It doesn't matter if she's rare, I'm just curious.
I've got two pairs right now, check aquabid, there are always 5-10 on there, a couple people sell them as $1 auctions
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Alright, so I guess they're just unusual in our area. It doesn't make any difference to me, she's still pretty.
Are blue/green piebalds unusual?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Alright, so I guess they're just unusual in our area. It doesn't make any difference to me, she's still pretty.
Are blue/green piebalds unusual?
I've never kept any so no idea, I'd ask one of the major breeders off do AB, most of them are more than willing to discuss strains and color variations
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

they are as common or rare as male mustard gas bettas.
i just bough a marbled HMPK female mustard gas blue dragon, and am looking for a good HM male in the US to match her to (dont want to bother with a transshiper).
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
they are as common or rare as male mustard gas bettas.
i just bough a marbled HMPK female mustard gas blue dragon, and am looking for a good HM male in the US to match her to (dont want to bother with a transshiper).
Marko I know a guy in Texas who breeds and imports, want his email?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

You can find them easily online, but for local- probably depends on where you live. Ive seen a few male mustards but I managed to pick up this girl in a group of other bettas at a LFS and she was the only one that was this colour

VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

She's beautiful!
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Aside from a teeny bit more blue on the tail, mine looks exactly like that beauty.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You can expect them to fight pretty badly if you are keeping the 2 of them together in a community tank. Be prepared to give one of them her own home.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #13
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

I actually have four females in a community tank, a 65 gallon. The largest one is dominant, the second largest is second in command, and the two newcomers are last. The largest one ignores the others, and the 2IC just flares when she sees them. They don't actually fight, just flare now and then when another gets too close, maybe circle a bit, but never actually bite. Community tanks with more than one female actually work when you have enough cover and more than two bettas.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
You can find them easily online, but for local- probably depends on where you live. Ive seen a few male mustards but I managed to pick up this girl in a group of other bettas at a LFS and she was the only one that was this colour

Flo, not sure where you got this one from. But I bought a female that looks like this from Win not long ago. Blue scales with what appeard to be mustard gas yellow fins.

As for mine, I've been trying to figure out whether it's a HMPK or just a regular HM.....

Tags
betta, blue yellow, mustard gas, piebald, veiltail