Saltwater lighting - can I use it???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Lodie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Saltwater lighting - can I use it???

Hi there -

First post! I've been reading like crazy and am ready to ask my first question.

I have a standard 75 gallon tank that I am wanting to set up as a low tech planted tank. This tank used to be a saltwater tank and I have a light fixture for it but am unsure if I can use it for a freshwater planted tank.

The fixture is a Coralife Aqualight 4-65 watt power compact fluorescent with 2 actinic and 2 10,000k bulbs. I know the actinic bulbs are worthless for a planted tank. Would running the 2 - 65 watt, 10,000k bulbs be ok?

I don't want to mess with CO2 yet if I can avoid it... still have too much learning to do on that. Would this be enough light that I would have to do CO2?

Thanks for your help!
Lodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Replace the bulbs with 6700K ones and you should be fine. I'd just watch out, as you may have too much light.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Lodie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Replace the bulbs with 6700K ones and you should be fine. I'd just watch out, as you may have too much light.
Do you mean I should replace all four lights with the 6,700k bulbs or just two of them?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Planted Tank Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodie View Post
Hi there -

First post! I've been reading like crazy and am ready to ask my first question.

I have a standard 75 gallon tank that I am wanting to set up as a low tech planted tank. This tank used to be a saltwater tank and I have a light fixture for it but am unsure if I can use it for a freshwater planted tank.

The fixture is a Coralife Aqualight 4-65 watt power compact fluorescent with 2 actinic and 2 10,000k bulbs. I know the actinic bulbs are worthless for a planted tank. Would running the 2 - 65 watt, 10,000k bulbs be ok?

I don't want to mess with CO2 yet if I can avoid it... still have too much learning to do on that. Would this be enough light that I would have to do CO2?

Thanks for your help!
Hello Lodie...

Since you have the lighting, I suggest using it. Ideally, you want 6500K bulbs, because they come closest to natural daylight at 5500K. I'm currently using a two bulb fixture with a 6500K bulb and a 10,000K in my planted 55 Gs. Your 75 should take the same 48 inch bulbs.

I've had the lighting for several months and my low light plants do fine with the combination.

2 65 watt bulbs is pretty strong, so you should be a able to grow most of the aquarium plants on the market, but not so strong that you'll need a CO2 system. Don't forget to dose a good fert according to instructions and keep up on your water changes.

Just one reporter's opinion though.

B
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Lodie
Algae Grower

This is so weird! I'm used to saltwater, where 2 - 65 watt bulbs on a 75 gallon tank isn't good for anything and with freshwater it's considered pretty strong!

I'm glad to know that this fixture will be good for something, though, and that I'll be able to use it. I will get two new bulbs, 6500k-6700k, to replace the two 10,000k already in it and just leave the two actinic ones to maybe just use to do a dusk-to-dawn effect.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I wouldn't replace the 10k bulbs. I prefer that color spectrum for the way it makes the tank look. I don't like the yellow cast it puts on everything. The 10k bulbs are much more of a "white" light with a bit of blue. You might try it with just the two 6500s and then just the 2 10k bulbs to see which color spectrum you find more to your liking. The 10k bulbs will grow everything just fine. It's all I use on my tanks now.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote