Shredded Guppy Tail
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shredded Guppy Tail

My male guppy has a shredded tail and crooked back. He swims but it looks like a struggle. He is kept in a 40-gal with 2 pearl gouramis, 3 female guppies, 3 julii cories, a dozen cardinal tetras and a half-dozen amano shrimp. I'm assuming someone is harrassing him although I've never seen it. Everyone else is in perfect shape and coloring.

I just moved him to a 20-gal tank that is currently plants only (plan on adding red cherry shrimp, and maybe some SAE's). I fed him blood worms and he gobbled them down. Will his tail grow back? Is there anything I should do to hellp him recover?
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Shredded Guppy Tail

A little aquarium salt can encourage healing. He probably got harassed by the pearls. I know when my guppies would enter my pearls territory, they would get harassed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

can you get a pic of the tail. there is a bacterial infection that can make the tail shreded and when that happens they normaly die within 24 hours. i went though that a month or so ago. lost one fish and have not had a problem since then and not even sure how it popped up cause i had never had any illness in that tank. tail can possible grow back might not look as nice though. i also like melafix its great for illness and helps with the fins.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
uberape
Algae Grower

if you dont see it i would say its the cardinals, the gouramis would not i think nip for food which is a sneaky and regular act. They would be aggressive quite openly. trust me cardinals are annoying little assasins that pick on slow swimming species like bettas and prob your guppies to. To recover the best thing is fresh water and good quality food. I see it when raising betta that the more you change the water the quicker they heal.
uberape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
can you get a pic of the tail. there is a bacterial infection that can make the tail shreded and when that happens they normaly die within 24 hours. i went though that a month or so ago. lost one fish and have not had a problem since then and not even sure how it popped up cause i had never had any illness in that tank. tail can possible grow back might not look as nice though. i also like melafix its great for illness and helps with the fins.
I'll try to get a photo this evening -- I'm leaving the house this morning before the tank lights come on.

I hope he doesn't die. I have a feeling that he was being harassed, though, because in the other tank he would stay on the bottom in a really bushy area, or hide in the floating plants. In this tank he seems to stay more in the open.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
rileynapalm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post

+1 for the melafix recommendation. That stuff is a more natural alternative to really get issues under control without the risks of harsh meds.

It could also be a disease called consumption too. I know it is a common disease among livebearers. I don't know if that's usually just females, or if males are as likely to get it too. I've seen it in guppies and mollies mostly. I know it can be treated with maracyn though. I just hate adding medication to tanks. It should be safe for use with what you've got though.

You can also try improving the diet. Try using a bit of garlic oil on some food. Garlic is an appetite stimulant and possesses antiviral properties as well as an immune system boost. Maybe thaw out some frozen peas and remove the shells. Feed a tad bit of that and see what happens.

Last edited by rileynapalm; 02-11-2013 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
rileynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote