Do you run CO2 all day or partially?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
greenaqua
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do you run CO2 all day or partially?

I just setup CO2 on my new tank. Do you usually run this all day or only when light is on? my tap water is 7.4, I just ran for few hrs today and now my tank is 6.8

If I keep it all day, will it have a stable PH and how low can of ph can it get?

If I keep only when light is on, how much swing in ph should I expect? and will this swing affect small tetras (Neon, Rummynose) and cherry shrimps?
greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Wolf19
Planted Member

From my readings on this website I personally won't be running mine all the time. Start 30 mins before lights go on, and turn off 15 mins before lights go off.

The plants will not be using CO2 when the lights are off. Not sure what type of pH swing you can expect, but if you run CO2 during the night I think you run the chance of gassing your fish because the plants are not using it for photosynthesis.
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I run it when the lights are on.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

On 30 min before lights on. Off 30 min before lights off.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaqua View Post
I just setup CO2 on my new tank. Do you usually run this all day or only when light is on? my tap water is 7.4, I just ran for few hrs today and now my tank is 6.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
On 30 min before lights on. Off 30 min before lights off.
+1. I do this also.

Quote:
If I keep it all day, will it have a stable PH and how low can of ph can it get?
Injection of CO2 can only lower pH to a certain value (I forget the precise value at this time).

Quote:
If I keep only when light is on, how much swing in ph should I expect? and will this swing affect small tetras (Neon, Rummynose) and cherry shrimps?
In general, pH swings that are caused by CO2 will not be harmful to livestock.

Rather than watching your pH, I would recommend that you use a drop checker with a 4 dkH reference solution so that you can first ballpark the CO2 levels you have, and then monitor your livestock carefully from there to see if you can increase (or you may have to decrease) your CO2 levels.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I like the ph difference for a ballpark reference before a choose drop checker at this point. Between a. 8 and 1.0 ph drop is usually sufficient for most plant needs and light intensities, once u go the high light range, more may be necessary. But ph drops are how i tune my tank in the beginning then adjust from there.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Xalyx
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
I like the ph difference for a ballpark reference before a choose drop checker at this point. Between a. 8 and 1.0 ph drop is usually sufficient for most plant needs and light intensities, once u go the high light range, more may be necessary. But ph drops are how i tune my tank in the beginning then adjust from there.
So do you mean you use the change in pH to tell you how much co2 is needed? I had my Co2 controlled by a Milwaukee pH Controller and I didn't like the results, does a method like that result in less Co2 or is it entirely plant dependent?
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
greenaqua
Algae Grower

Read there are PH controlled CO2 injectors? Who is that targeted for? If fishes can accommodate PH swing caused by CO2 can I ignore those controllers? I am afraid to pump too much.. I am just using 1 bubble per 2 sec. So far they are doing ok.. been two days of using this...
greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Read there are PH controlled CO2 injectors? Who is that targeted for? If fishes can accommodate PH swing caused by CO2 can I ignore those controllers? I am afraid to pump too much.. I am just using 1 bubble per 2 sec. So far they are doing ok.. been two days of using this...
While fish can tolerate the pH swings caused by CO2, they cannot tolerate high concentrations of CO2.

Having a pH controller control a solenoid that turns on/off CO2 will allow you to control CO2 concentration via an indirect measurement (pH).

So for example, if you slowly increase your CO2 injection rate until you see your fish gasping for air, and find that your pH is (say) 6.4, then that would allow you to set your pH controller to a tad higher (say,) 6.5 or 6.6 without fear that CO2 concentrations would rise too high and suffocate your livestock.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
So do you mean you use the change in pH to tell you how much co2 is needed? I had my Co2 controlled by a Milwaukee pH Controller and I didn't like the results, does a method like that result in less Co2 or is it entirely plant dependent?
CO2 drops PH..

so i start my tanks with a 0.8 PH drop of co2 injection and adjust the co2 level from there
generally my tank take a 1.2-1.4 ph drop to have sufficient co2 levels.
I have lots of light

co2 levels are really determined by the plants, if they are growin properly for their light level. then you are sufficient. if leaves are curly, discolored, stunted in size, etc but you know you have enough nutrients, then this is co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.