The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this normal?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  randyl 
#1 ·
I just did a W/C and was admiring my DHG. One of my Amanos scuttled up and snatched a small pond snail off the glass in front of me. At first i thought he was "cleaning" it but after about 2-3 min he just walked off and continued picking at the gravel. Is this a common thing or is he trying to tell me i need to supplement his diet?

#2 ·
Amanos will find food sources once algae or things in the tank become less available. remember they work 24x7 tirelessly on your tank so they do eventually run out of algae so they need to be supplemented. More so if you have multiple japonicas in the tank.

#4 ·
what sized tank is this? do you have a ton of moss in there? When i say ton, im not referring to a patch here or there... but looking at 20%+ of the tank filled with moss...

otherwise you will run out of things for these guys to feed on naturally and will have to feed more. the three amanos will eventually tear up the cherries if you dont supplement the diet.

The most vulnerable will be your flower shrimp so i hope you either have current (water flow) or a well established tank to sustain them. I would feed to ensure these guys eat enough and worry less about the cherries.

#5 ·
It's a 55 gal and i have no moss at all. As for the flower shrimp, i have more than enough current. I don't hardly ever see them picking at the substrate, they seem to be pooping quite often, and the larger one molted once already. Usually after i feed my Tetras i will pulverize a little bit of flake between my fingers hoping it will make it to them. Thank you for the replys! Should i add some algae wafers or just feed them more often?

#6 ·
#7 ·
Just a follow up post about my bamboo shrimp. A little info in case someone is searching. I have tried a number of foods to supplement them including spirulina brine shrimp, first bites, ground up sinking wafers, crushed up blood worms, and crushed flake food. They didn't really respond notably to any combination of these foods. They were all over the tank searching for food and never really filter fed for more than a few minutes in one place, so spot feeding was difficult. I scoured the internet for other possible food sources and stumbled across a little info. I read about someone having luck feeding his bamboo shrimp Biozyme tank starter (yes really). I figured i didn't have anything to loose so i picked some up today. When i came home i happened to catch them both filter feeding in front of the spray bay. I quickly mixed up a little with tank water and squirted it in front of them. I have never seen them feed so actively! They were grabbing the bits from the current and pushing each other around. After feeding them i went ahead and dosed the tank with the recommended "start up" dose. I figured having a little extra bacteria in the system was not a bad idea. They have not moved from their perch in over 11 hours and have gone from a pale tan to a bright orange/red.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.