Hard water confusion
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hard water confusion

Here's what confuses me. I keep reading that hard water stunts plant growth. It's supposed to be hard to grow plants in hard water. What confuses me is why. Hard water is just water with a lot of dissolved minerals in it. So how is it any different from soft water that's been dosed with fertilizers?
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
stlouisan
Algae Grower

I had to think about is for a sec, because it seems like hard water and soft water with ferts should be similar. Only thing I can think of are the carbonates are tied to the minerals in hard water that makes it different, and that buffers a bit of the chemistry in water, which changes how the ferts are readily available to the plants?
stlouisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGorilla View Post
Here's what confuses me. I keep reading that hard water stunts plant growth. It's supposed to be hard to grow plants in hard water. What confuses me is why. Hard water is just water with a lot of dissolved minerals in it. So how is it any different from soft water that's been dosed with fertilizers?
Where are you reading this from? I grow plants fine in my (hard) water.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Where are you reading this from? I grow plants fine in my (hard) water.
Some of our plants seem to be fine. But the dwarf hairgrass didn't last long. It's hard to tell if it died off because of the water or because of the snails though. The banana plant is certainly thriving.

As to where I've read this I'm afraid I can't provide those details. I've read so much from so many places that I can't possibly remember where each tidbit came from. Sadly, this hobby is so rife with myth and misinformation that you can find any answer you want to any question you have.
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote