Nerite thinks it is a land snail (suggestions?)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

PTrader: (10/100%)

Nerite thinks it is a land snail (suggestions?)

I recently decided to try out a nerite for algae control. I got a leopard one about three days ago. I am a little worried. Every time I check on it the bugger is on the glass right at the top black plastic rim. Over an inch above the water line. I pester it back into the water, but for obvious reasons get the vibe it's not happy.

The tank is neutral pH, RO with a GH of 5, KH of 3, mild ferts, a touch of sea salt, and calcium supplement. It's not green, but there are specks of algae on the glass and plants. Any ideas what's going on? It's a shrimp tank and there is no copper in it.

Last edited by ShyShrimpDoc; 02-10-2013 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Edit title
ShyShrimpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Maybe it has to do with TDS or Temp?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Doesn't have anything to do with anything really, that's what nerites do. That's why you need to have a lid on the tank. They like to come up above the water line and rest I h ave 4-5 in a tank without a lid but I keep the water level about 2 inches from the top and try to monitor them. Lids on all my other tanks with them though.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

I don't have a test for TDS. Temp is about 76 degrees. Land temp at 72.

Raven, other than when I first put it in or shove it back into the water I never see it in the tank. Granted I only check a couple times (inconsistent timing) a day so maybe I miss it. How much of the time do they spend out if the water?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

i had horned nerites, and most stayed put. once in a while i'd find one out for a walk when they were new. after that they settled in.

however, they were in my betta tank and i've since discovered my betta likes the taste of snails, so that could have been the problem.
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Nerite thinks it a land snail (suggestions?)

hmm my nerites only do that when they hate the water. I tried to persuade mine to clean up another tank but it just crawled up past the water line and camped out there. i gave up an threw it back into it's old tank, it immediately "woke up" and roamed around again. it's been in my rimless one gallon (water level kept pretty high) for a while now and never went past the water line again.
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

Aokashi what are the parameters on your tank that they like? Maybe I can glean a hint of the issue from that.

There are no snail eaters in the tank. It's all small fish and I have had no issues with the Spixi snails or with shrimp.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
hmm my nerites only do that when they hate the water. I tried to persuade mine to clean up another tank but it just crawled up past the water line and camped out there. i gave up an threw it back into it's old tank, it immediately "woke up" and roamed around again. it's been in my rimless one gallon (water level kept pretty high) for a while now and never went past the water line again.
Some nerites seem to be less likely to do it, like the horned ones I've never had much climbing with, they go right to the top of the water then go back down. Olive, tiger, and another I can't think of the name of right off hand do like to climb and will sit above the water line for a few hours and nap.

Heck, I'm not making this up...it's what they do. Don't believe me? Go look around on the internet, or heck, do a search on here...plenty of threads about them climbing out of water I've got them in all of my tanks...parameters vary on each tank.

Just one of many links

http://www.planetinverts.com/zebra_nerite_snail.html

From page

The Zebra Nerite Snail can tend to escape from a tank and make its way outside of the tank. It is considered a tidal snail and can live outside of water. Simply pick them up and put them back inside of the tank, they will survive as long as they have not been out of the tank for too long. It is recommend to keep an eye on them and look around the tank occasionally for possible escapes. It is thought that when the snail is uncomfortable it will escape, but will not when happy. It is also an extremely docile creature and does not bother any other aquarium inhabitants.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

I have seen plenty to say they do it. I am just worried because in the three days I have had it I have only seen it in the water twice. And I had just put it there both times. I don't expect it to stay in the water all the time but staying out so much makes me wonder if everything is ok.

I suspect the behavior from different types is a touch different. This is a leopard nerite if that matters.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShrimpDoc View Post
I have seen plenty to say they do it. I am just worried because in the three days I have had it I have only seen it in the water twice. And I had just put it there both times. I don't expect it to stay in the water all the time but staying out so much makes me wonder if everything is ok.

I suspect the behavior from different types is a touch different. This is a leopard nerite if that matters.

It can take nerites a LONG time to settle in. Some don't even move for days and folks think they are dead. New environment can make them very nervous/shy. I'd give him a week to ten days and you should see him hanging out in the water more I've had some that come out and get active as soon as they are added to the tank. Have had some not move and hide for almost two weeks before they decided it was safe to come out. Have had some stay above the water for what seemed like days (but I could see the trail where they'd go in for a dunk and come back out).
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

Cool. I'll give it more time and see how it does.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Typical behavior for them : ) Some types do it more than others I have noticed. Can get annoying on tanks with out lids. I used to have to do a snail count every morning to make sure everybody was there, sometimes I'd find one on my desk, just plop him back in and he acted like nothing ever happened. Now a days I chose the horned ones since they seem to not do that as much as some of the other kinds. : )
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

Good to know. Do they manage to eat much algae even when they do this a lot?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShrimpDoc View Post
Good to know. Do they manage to eat much algae even when they do this a lot?

Oh goodness yes, they are my favorite algae cleaning snail!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

Cool. Because this tank needs the help. My big bristlenose has lost his taste for it and the two baby plecos are going to town, but not really catching up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.