Fishfood for planted tanks: good brands?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
rhodesengr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fishfood for planted tanks: good brands?

I am looking for people with very successful planted tanks to post what brand food you use to feed your fish. I have a 26G goldfish tank and a 36G tropical community tank so I am interesed in both goldfish food and tropical food.

I previously posted about sluggish growth in one tank and diatoms in the other
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=191164

and GH increases that I believed were due to the fish food
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=201364

I now am pretty sure the sluggish growth, the diatoms, and the GH increase were all due to the brand and type of fish food I was using.

If you have a highly successful planted tank with fish then obviously whichever food you are using is not causing problems and I would like to try your brand. I don't want to post what I was using yet until I get some replies.

If anyone else has traced plant problems to your fish food, I'd be interested to hear your story.
rhodesengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I feed all my fish NLS. I find that the bulbs are what matter the most. When the bulbs are about 3 months old or so, the plant growth seams to slow down. The newer my bulbs the faster the growth. I also use Excel and that has also helped.

12 pristella tetras, 23 cardinal tetra, 8 amano shirmp, 2 bamboo/flower shrimp, 1 mystery snail, 2 nerite snails, several assassin snails and cherry shrimp.
PlantedTankLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
rhodesengr
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankLover View Post
I feed all my fish NLS. I find that the bulbs are what matter the most. When the bulbs are about 3 months old or so, the plant growth seams to slow down. The newer my bulbs the faster the growth. I also use Excel and that has also helped.
Assume that I have determined my food is the problem. Assume that I have elimineted lights, substrate, water, ferts, etc. as the problem.

I just want to know which brand and even which exact product within a brand is working in a highly successful, lushly planted tropical community tank and in a colder fancy goldfish tank.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Besides live and frozen food, I have noticed these as some of the most popular brands (No special order):

New Life Spectrum
Omega One
Hikari
Kens Fish Food
Repashy
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would expect any food "specific" issues likely come from overfeeding and the food breaking down in the tank, not the food itself, otherwise there is some other component that isn't working in your tank. I also feed mostly NLS (Small Fish Formula) in my community tank and some Hikari products (Algae wafers and their guppy food for my endlers who live in a different planted tank).. I don't have any water quality issues and my plants are thriving - I feel like all I do is trim them lately. I dose my tank with NPK and micros, and I use CO2.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
rhodesengr
Algae Grower

OK. Now I will share that I was using Hikari products and suspect them to be the cause of my problems. Algea wafers in my tropical and Oranda Gold in my goldfish tank tank. If you go back through my other thread about sluggish growth you will see all the main factors are covered. I have since switched to RODI water.

First, there is now no question that the Hikari products raise your GH level. It is not surprising if you look at the ingrediants which contain Magnesium Sulphate which is the main ingrediant in GH booster. Amazon swords just withered and slowly died in my tropical tank. Since I stopped feeding with Hikari wafers in the tropical tank, the GH is stable, and a new sword is still bright green. The food is the only change I made.

In the goldfish tank, my weekly diatom overgrowth is gone and all I I did was switch from the Oranda Gold pellets to some generic flake product I had laying around.

So again, people with nice lush planted tanks, which exact fish foods are you using?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
ramen lover
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

i feed new life spectrum (NLS) pellets. occassionaly some flake food or veggies
ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

NLS and repashy is what I feed. Good food is good food, plants or not.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote