self servicing an Eheim 2080
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

self servicing an Eheim 2080

I just noticed that one of my two Eheim Pro 3 2080s is not working. Despite being plugged in and all, it makes no motor noises or vibrations. Disassembling what I can I find the impeller is reluctant to turn. When I go to disassemble further I find that Eheim has used some impossible headed screws (not square drive, not Torx, what are these things?).

It seems that Eheim has gone way out of their way to make self servicing these units difficult. Any suggestions?
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

there are all kinds of shapes that can be used to prevent a person from getting in. Here are a few:

https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...w=1064&bih=596

Depending on the size you can dremel a slot in them and use a regular screw driver then replace them with new screws. You can take them out with an easy out or just figure out what they are and buy a set from amazon
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Usually there are no user serviceable parts when you see those odd shaped fasteners.

Were you able to remove the impeller and clean the parts and cavity? If so, reassemble the pump head and briefly plug it back in to see if the impeller spins.

Side note, if the filter is still under warranty, I wouldn't take apart anything that isn't listed as normal maintenance procedures.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Correction: they are number one Torx, but the entry hole is so deep and narrow that only a single purpose driver with a long shaft will do. I cannot reach in there with my driver bit and multi pupose bit holder.

What an aggravation!

And of course the big box hardware outlets do not carry anything torx except the bits that fit the holders; no single long shaft drivers.

(repeat refrain)

What an aggravation!

EDIT: I found a driver that works at a computer store. I did not learn much though, only that the motor itself seems to be bad. The impeller is clear, was not gunked up, and it does not want to turn by hand. When plugged in the motor does nothing. I have a warranty issue here, but my experience with Eheim Service does not encourage me. They should probably replace the entire pump head.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 02-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: add info
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote