Digital camera?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 03-03-2003, 05:06 AM   #1
geekgirl
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

With all these great pics here, what kind of digital camera are people using? Do you like it?

Some aren't so good at capturing moving objects. Mine (borrowed) I just have to set up and snap when I hope something is swimming by. Out of 100 pics, I might have 5 where the fish is actually in the frame and in-focus. Time to upgrade! :lol:

So...suggestions??

Stacey
geekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
d28 boy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to d28 boy

Sony Mavica is a real nice camera I have been using. It has its own mini-disc so there is quite a bit of storage on the camera itself. There are several models with various megapixel ratings. Ours was US$1500 new, but now they are down to $650-700 range. It is fully automatic or fully controllable like a manual camera, whichever you like. I have to say, I am a novice at photographing the aquarium though, and I still get lots of blurry fish as well, definitely a shutter speed/focus type issue.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:08 PM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I use the Sony DSC-P51 it has a 2megpixel resolution and uses the memory stick for storage. I like it a lot. I had an older Sony mavica, one of the first ones that came out, and the resolution was really low compared to the p51 that I have now. Like everything else, the Mavicas have improved quite a bit. I purchased my p51 at Walmart, they seemed to have the best price around. You can probably get it cheaper online but with the shipping it probably would come out about the same. I think I paid roughly $300 out the door.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #4
kor4ever
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use a Powershot G2 by Canon. Its a great semi-pro camera although I've been itching for a full SLR digital camera. Too expensive though. I think the only gripe I have with this camera duuringn aquarium photography is I can't get close enough with macro. but what can you do with zoom len ses. There is a macro lens atttachment, but I don't think its worth it.

Felix
Old 03-09-2003, 01:17 AM   #5
JimmyD
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JimmyD Send a message via MSN to JimmyD

What are those two fish sucking on the driftwood in that picture? I saw some just like them today at the LFS. They were labled Chinese Algea Eater, but the people there couldn't answer my questions so I walked away. I'm looking for fish like those, but am a bit confused...
hornwort,swords
j. fern,wild celery,ambulia
crypt wendtii,sagittaria,j. moss,anubias
5Platies6Shrimp7Lemons,8neons,8glolites,6otos
JimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:54 AM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The fish in the picture are siamese algae eaters, notice the black stripe along the length of the body. Chinese algae eaters have a stripe but it is very faint. The Siamese stripe is pitch black and ends at a point into the tail fin.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:49 AM   #7
d28 boy
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to d28 boy

love my SAE's, they are great workers!
Old 03-09-2003, 05:11 PM   #8
geekgirl
Planted Member

Canon G2, that's the camera I've been looking at. I was hoping someone had a comment on it. Is it fast enough? The old camera I've been using takes so long to get the shot, most of the time the fish have already swum out of range.

I love the UI on that one though. And it's down to about $500 online. Not bad.

Stacey
Old 03-09-2003, 06:13 PM   #9
kor4ever
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well, you can't expect it to be too fast...it is a digital camera. I just half-depress the shutter to make it focus and take the shot when I am ready. My friends swears that is Nikon Coolpix 5000 is as fast as a film SLR, but I have to confirm that. If you want some good reviews go check out this place:

http://www.dpreview.com

Felix
Old 03-16-2003, 03:00 AM   #10
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I used the Sony Cybershot DSC-P31
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:29 PM   #11
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Hey Stacey I think you will find that just about all the digitals suck when it comes to "freezing" a moving subject, with practice you and settings you can help it a little but thats just the nature of the beast..
Flash will help also but then you can lose pic quality when photographing aquariums.

All my photos are taken with an Olympus Camedia C-4000 Zoom , it is a 4 megapixel camera with all kinds of bells and whistles that I have still not learned... I think it would be easier to learn how to fly a plane then to learn all that this thing can do ! :lol: It also takes movies which I tried and I was actually impressed with the quality for just a camera.

The only regret is the 4mpixel feature...I should have gone with a 2 or 2.5 , they are easier to get quality photos without using crazy settings. I borrowed a friends 1.9 mp and it was very easy to use but when I bought the 4mp camera I found that it will take a more quality shot but you need to find the "magic settings" to get the "ease" of the 1.9 "point and shoot" camera.(Which took beautiful photos as well)

Its all what you are looking for. I would suggest buying a $ 100 digital to learn it and see how they work and then in a short years period the "better" camera's that are 600$ now will be 250$ :evil:

I paid 500 for mine in early december and it now can be bought for 375 in same store ! :lol:

So many camera's to chose from.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
geekgirl
Planted Member

Thanks for the input. That Olympus c-4000 is high on my list too. Right now I have a Kodak ?? (borrowed and 4 years old) I think it's 2mp. I use the Canon G-2 at work. (4mp) I like the rotating LCD and the form factor of the G-2, but the image quality from the c-4000 (according to several reviews) can't be beat in the price range.

I've had a hard time deciding though, because it has to be at least a few years future proof. DH has to be convinced that's the next toy. Especially since I also got the last toy :lol: And they're spendy, so it's nice to get some "real-world" opinions first.

I think the best recommendation is seeing the image quality on this and other sites, then asking who is using what. It's funny how the same 3 or 4 models keep coming up over and over.

Stacey

Stacey
Old 03-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
I like the rotating LCD
...and why do you like that feature Stacey ? hehe... my wife yelled at me for that feature once... :lol:
The camera I borrowed from my buddy had that feature, I dont think they make it anymore. :evil:

Seriously though the C-4000 takes unbelievable quality shots and the "digital" zoom is phenomenal for closeups. Its a lot of camera for the money.

Buck 8)
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:32 PM   #14
RayB
Algae Grower

Sunnysmom
ACTUALLY, your ratio of 5 outa 100 isn't too bad... The art of photography comes in the belief of "shoot, shoot....keep shooting". THAT is the extreme advantage of a digital camera. Personally, I use a Sony P9. Wifey gave it to me for Christmas. It took the place of a Mavica. THE new one I really like. AND, that's what I do when taking pictures....Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Then I go to the computer to see what will be deleted. GOOD closeup photography takes TIME!!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 03:19 AM   #15
geekgirl
Planted Member

ROTFLMAO! Yes, self-portrait, but nothing nasty! :twisted: Actually when the babies I take care of were little, I used the rotating LCD to take pics of me and baby together. Now, I use it so they don't know I'm ready to take the picture. I can hold the camera out of their sight and still see the LCD.

Remember, this is the camera I use at WORK! :lol: No hanky-panky allowed, but now that you mention it... one more reason-HA! Can't do that with my SLR...

and the 5 shots out of 100 with actually fish still in the frame? I didn't say those are GOOD shots. :cry: To get one keeper I probably have to take a whole card full of pics with the camera I'm using. Even then it's crop, crop, crop, resize, color adjust, paintbrush... I HATE ART. :roll:

Stacey