29 gallon help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
Bigehugedome
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

29 gallon help

Hello,

I have a 29 gallon tank which has been running for 2 and a half years. It has a standard 30" T-8 with a 6500k life glo bulb. I have tried numerous types of plants over the years but nothing really works. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my lights, but then I know I may need Co2 etc and I don't know if i want to go crazy.

I just started a SW tank so I want to improve this tank now before I loose all interest in it, but I'm limited on funds.

I'm looking for suggestions on lighting upgrades and whatever else I may need to go with it. Also looking for plant suggestions.

I have tried various crypts, Val's, moss, easy swords. And eventually everything just gets brown and dies.

I started with Eco complete but didn't like the look of it after a while so I moved to play sand.

Some other specs:
Filter is a penn plax cascade 700
Temp 78
Water is about 7.0 pH and 7-8 dGH
Stock is down to 8 black neon tetras, and 8 rummy nose tetra.

Any advice it ideas?

Oh and this needs to be closed top. In fact they make a canopy that matches my stand and I would want to get that. I have four cats and they lay on the tanks
Bigehugedome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm far from any expert, but generally speaking any light that comes in a kit or from a chain store generally won't cut it for plants, so that probably has a lot to do with it.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
Bigehugedome
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I talked to many who are "low tech" and said that light would be fine. But I had no luck with it. And I'm not going to be happy going low tech. So it's time for some upgrades. I know I need better light. Just not sure what path to take
Bigehugedome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you're willing to buy a CO2 setup then from what I've come to understand here the sky is the limit. With a steady supply of that, just provide some great lighting (Hoppy's thread in lighting is a good reference) and fertilize and you should have plants thriving easily.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had poor luck in a 29 with one bulb. With two t8s I don't need co2. With one bulb and window light I need it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.