46 Gallon Project!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Metallican
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

46 Gallon Project!

So I've been keeping track of my project on another forums as well, not sure why it didn't post on this site last time I tried but I thought id try and toss the thread back up one more time!

Posted up a video of my tank instead of some pictures! Feel from to comment and w/e people do on youtube!

Started with soaking the organic soil for 2-3 days to get all the floaters out, then laid that down for the bottom layers, then got a think layer of flourite and rinsed it out thoroughly, then a nice layer of eco-complete, and waiting for my black sand flourite to show up so I can cap the whole thing off with 2 inches give or take a couple cm.

I have a 46 Gallon Bowfront with what I believe is at least a 150W Heater, 1 AquaClear 50 Filter I'm using on low flow for now because all the filter media had been used in a good clean established tank, a AquaClear 70 for my main filter but probably just run on low as well, and finally a Marineland Reef Capable light.

2/2/2013 Photo Update!!!
So I got some of my plants and still soaking my drift wood to get the tannins out, and got my tap water tested and it was terrible at both places it was tested at so I got plant water for pretty dang cheap at AquaTouch just to be safe and 20 bucks didn't break the bank and I was able to fill up all my tanks with the water I got. So when I get more plants and add the driftwood I will get a update then another after I start getting fish!

2/3/2013 Adopted 2 Neon and Red Flame Gourmaies from someone who was giving them away and they we're gorgeous and didn't want them to get stuck somewhere they wouldn't be taken care of due to them just being free! I also surprisingly found a Anibius Nana for cheap at Petco on Happy Valley, add the extra driftwood since it had been a few days since nothing was leeching from them. I also found my old filter media for my 50 Gallon filter to help speedup cycling the tank along with the fish and various other things in the tank.

2/4/2013 The tank is cycling really fast and all levels are looking great thus far, I added one small pieteit plant on a rock in the back and a few rocks I bought just to fill in some of the empty bland spots.

2/7/2013 Last major change done to the tank before I add the Co2 to the tank which wont show to much, but I got 3 otto cat fish and they've already made a good diffence in the algae I had growing and I got 3 amanos for my cleaning grew as well for 2 bucks each at petco!

2/15/2014 Allot of my plants started pearling today I thought maybe it was just bubbles from the air wand but I was wrong since it had not even been plugged in since the night before! So I am super stoked about that happening also my Ich problem has been taken down by allot and most of my fish are looking great even my Rainbow how had it really bad just lost her giant cyst as I was looking at the tank so I dossed a small amount of rid ich to hopefully kill any of the parasites that would emerge from it, right off the bat. Now on to the sad news I did lose 1 dwarf gourami to unrelated ich problems I was not able to find out what happened but may the little guy RIP!

2/19/2013 So day after my B-Day and I decided to take a picture of the tank and how well it is doing even after my Ich attack! My dwarf Sag is growing out of control along with every other plant in the tank even the anubius is growing quite fast root wise. I started dossing Seachem Iron, Potassium, and Excel and I can say I see a major difference the days I dose then on the days I am just using Co2. I also gave two of the Gourami's away and got 1 Male and 1 Female Dwarf Rainbow in their place. OOOOOOOH and I added a extra light in the back that came with the tank it's just 1 T5 light just because I didn't want it to just go to waste!

Last edited by Metallican; 02-21-2013 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Added info
Metallican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

Very nice, everything is colorful and the fish look like they get along.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Metallican
Algae Grower

Thank you! I've been waiting ALONG time to setup a tank larger then 20 gallons and my fiance' finally let me do it lol.

The fish are doing great I had to get rid of a few and give them a new home but for the most part everyone gets along.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks great.
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
Metallican
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
Looks great.
Thank you very much!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
Metallican
Algae Grower

I just got me some Celestial Pearl Danios and Pygmy Cories but they're to small and fast to take pictures of at the moment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.