Figure 8 Pufferfish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does anyone have any experience with Figure 8 Puffers? Are they safe in a planted aquarium? do they HAVE to have brackish water? Are they safe in pairs?

The reason for all these questions is I am thinking of doing a species only planted Cube Aquarium with nothing more than pillars of rocks(like you find in utah) a sand substrate(flourite base), some corkscrew vals in a back corner and lots of fields of glosso. Am looking for a Cube at least 12inches each direction with 2 13watt PCS for light. Am I crazy? Please respond.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 03:54 AM   #2
Slaigar
Planted Member

I absolutely love puffers. So far I only have dwarf puffers because of they ease to manage.

Figure 8 puffers are peaceful enough to have in a community and can live perfectly with plants. I would avoid anything that is slow or cannot defend itself- they can be nippy. If you have enough space, you could possibly get a small group so they can keep busy with themselves. They can live fine in freshwater and can also adapt to brackish and salt.

They could live in pairs, but the problem with any species living in pairs is that the weaker one is usually bullied.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Mine is adapted to Saltwater along with two Green Spotted Puffers. They are great, but try to feed them stuff to try to keep their teeth in check. Once a week mine get snails, and/or shell fish just cracked, or shrimp with the shell.

5 Gallons is a bit small though. I bet he roams up and down the tank alot. Mine likes tank cleanings since I rearrange all of their rocks and they have new places to explore. My puffers always seem to love exploring.

Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

I decided to go with a Peruvian puffer as they are a wee bit smaller and just a single fish, he loves his new tank and spends hours flitting in around the microswords. There is 1 oto in there as well for algea control which he seems to leave alone, though the ghost shrimp i put in was devoured as a snack within 24 hours. Good thing they are nice and cheap :-), I plan to give him snails and ghost shrimp once every week or so to keep his beak in check.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
Ray1214
Algae Grower

good idea with the shrimp and snails. Wait they start squirting water. MIne does that and I finally found out why. PufferPunk from another board explained they they are used to squirting water on the bottom to uncover snails and shellfish. When you feed fromthe top of the tank like most of us do, they associate the top with their normal feeding so sometimes they will squirt at you like they do in the wild.
Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
dgplexus

Send a message via ICQ to dgplexus Send a message via Yahoo to dgplexus

Hi all,

Sorry for the somewhat late reply... I just found this forum and joined.

I have two Figure 8 puffers, which I find endlessly entertaining and adorable. Their names are Lucky and Plucky. Lucky used to be the smaller and less dominant one, but that has all somehow reversed in the past 6 months.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. I have experimented with keeping sailfin mollies with the puffers. On average, a sailfin molly will last about 1 month with the puffers, before getting its sailfin and/or tail "trimmed" by the puffers. This seems to be related to the mollies becoming more familiar with the puffers, and more aggressive with the puffers. I think the puffers bite the mollies' fins just to keep them in line. The mollies generally try to steal the food from the puffers, which is futile in most cases, as I feed the puffers snails most often. The puffers have, a few times, tried to steal the sinking pellets that I usually feed to the mollies. But when they take the pellets into their mouths, they spit them out immediately.

I don't keep any other kinds of fish with my Figure 8 puffers any more. As an aside, the mollies with the badly-bitten fins generally learned to respect and stay away from the puffers. (But not always.) One thing surprised me, the molly which turned out to be the most aggressive with the puffers was a female. This crazy molly managed to scare the puffers so they didn't bite her fins any more. Occasionally I see this degree of aggressiveness in female mollies, though it always seems to be a reaction to aggressiveness (so I'm guessing it's just self-defense.) I digress, but I had a super-aggressive, large dalmatian sailfin molly before, that terrorized everything in the tank with him... That is, until he terrorized a particular female for a couple weeks, then she turned the tables on him. My wife and I found the turn of events to be somewhat amusing.

Something somewhat comical that Plucky does now is, when she sees me, she will often come to the front of the tank and snap her teeth as if she's trying to bite through the glass.

I'll post later about the most amusing thing I've ever seen these two puffers do.

Dan Gannon
Portland, Oregon
dgplexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:05 PM   #7
dgplexus

Send a message via ICQ to dgplexus Send a message via Yahoo to dgplexus

OK, here's the funniest thing I've seen them do:

I usually feed them approximately 6 pond snails, so they get about 3 each (though I think the dominant one gets more than her fair share.) Recently, I have had an overabundance of pond snails in various aquariums, so I decided to feed them 12 this time.

The puffers proceeded to voraciously consume the snails, until only 3 snails remained. Then Lucky, the dominant one, picked up the largest remaining snail and just swam around with it, holding it with her teeth. I wondered if it was stuck. Plucky tried several times to bite the snail in Lucky's mouth, but Lucky wouldn't let her. Then, Plucky picked up a snail and swam around with it in her mouth! Then, about a minute later, they both took turns trying to pick up the last snail, but they couldn't, because their mouths were already full! My wife and I laughed out loud when this happened.

When I checked on the puffers about 10 minutes later, they had already managed to eat all the snails. And boy, did they look FAT. However, they were still begging for food! Silly puffers.

Dan Gannon
dgplexus is offline   Reply With Quote