Questions about water (go figure)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
PROTODOPE

PTrader: (0/0%)

Questions about water (go figure)

Hey guys new to the forum I have had a FW tank for about 2 years and I am coming up on a year with my marine tank. Up until now all the research I have done is for Marine or salt water and pretty much the first commandment of salt water is to use RO/DI water. I started using this water and it has really helped for my salt tank. I started using it on my FW tank as well and everything has been fine but the pH on my FW tank is always around 6.0 which is what it comes from the local water store at, is this ok?? I haven't had any fish losses and it seems to keep the algae under control because there is 0 TDS. Now I am beginning to do some research into setting up a planted tank and I was wondering if RO/DI is recommended or not for planted?? If I did use would I have to put additives in the water for the plants?? Also what is everyone's view on water softened water(if that is the correct term)?? Where I live there is a water softener hooked up to the house.
PROTODOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

RO/DI water is 100% pure, meaning there are no mineral salts or other solids. You have to remineralize your water if you're using it for fish or plants.

What kind of fish/critters do you want to keep in the tank? That'll help determine which route you should go for a product to remineralize.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
thefishman84
Algae Grower

Also, keep in mind that most salt blends for saltwater have mineral additives in them to remineralize the water.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Why not use tap water for your freshwater tank. Most tap water in the USA is fine for freshwater tanks.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

OC water is liquid rock. Perfect for most plants and most fish (exceptions abound!). Salt tanks and FW tanks are worlds apart re: water parameters.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
PROTODOPE

sounds good what about using water from the tap that has been softened with a water softener? And I know pH is really important in salt how important is pH in fresh water tanks, Especially planted ones? I'm not yet sure what plants I want but I want to do research as to the differences between keeping a FO tank and a planted one.
PROTODOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
m00se
Wannabe Guru

You shouldn't use softened water in your tank. The calcium (which plants and animals need) is replaced with sodium, which they do not. There's usually a bypass on most systems so that you can access water before it enters the softener. Sometimes you have to go to a spiget outide, but it's a short weekend handi-job to plumb one in if you have to. The pH of your water is probably high, as is almost all of the LA area, due to it's source. This is not a bad thing and I would probably talk to a local fish store about how it might impact your plant and animal choices, if at all. CO2 when dissolved in water exists as phosphoric acid and will lower the pH as much as a point or point and a half downward. Fish don't seem to mind this, however.

HTH
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I use RO water in my 55 FW Planted Aquarium and my fish & plants are very happy. I don't regret it one bit. I add GLA GH Booster and a touch of baking soda to raise KH.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
CO2 when dissolved in water exists as phosphoric acid and will lower the pH as much as a point or point and a half downward.
Um... I think you may have meant carbonic acid?

I think phosphoric acid is common in carbonated soft drinks, but I don't think it's due to carbonation.

Anyways, yeah, the rest sounds right. Natural rainfall often has a pH as low as ~5.5 due to the presence of carbonic acid (picked up from the CO2 in the air).

Anybody remember when acid rain used to be the big environmental issue?
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Herp derp! Right you are lochaber. I get so hung up on trying to make this stupid tablet I'm trying to type on work correctly that I missed that error.

Acid rain is still very real. We've come a long way though, with low sulfur coal and stack scrubbers.