My 29 gallon- First Timer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
DC2Haze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

My 29 gallon- First Timer

Hello everyone!!

I am a Newbie to the fish tank world and i have a feeling this wont be my last one. Everyone always tells me i will always want bigger and better.

Anyway, Before buying my 29 gallon i should have done more research but i didnt. I will be reading alot on this forum for information and asking alot of questions, if you guys dont mind.

I purchased my aqueon 29 kit on 12/26/12 so it has been running for about a month now. I have done 1-5 gallon water change since then and I have not changed my filter as i am looking to upgrade my current filter. A friend of mine recommended a marineland penguin 200 gph filter. Is this a good filter for my tank?

In the tank i have:
  • 1- Convict Cichlid
  • 1- African Cichlid
  • 3- Tiger barbs
  • 3- Green barbs
  • 1- Rainbow shark? (he is black/red)
  • 2- Mexican Oakleaf plants
From what i learned after buying everything was cichlids can be aggresive and will destroy everything.... i wish they told me that at the store.

I did have my water tested before and after(1/27/13) the water change which all levels are good except PH was a little high so they sold me a PH balance powder.

So for now my questions are:

Whats a good filter upgrade? and whats a good light setup on a low budget to grow plants?

Thanks in advanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-27_18.29.21.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	75754  

Name:	2013-01-27_19.33.51.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	75762  

Name:	2013-01-27_19.34.42.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	75770  

DC2Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
m4s4mur4
Algae Grower

Welcome to the fish tank world. I'm glad you started off with a 29 instead of a 10 because those things can't hold anything. I noticed you don't do enough water changes. Those should be weekly rather than monthly. I don't think you mentioned cycling your tank. That's an important process that develops the tanks "good bacteria" nonetheless it has already begun. About filters and lighting, like tank size that's an area you really don't want to skimp on because they will be your limiting factor to your plants and fish. Once you get comfortable with this tank there's plenty to learn on this forum.

Oh and your pH issue. You don't really want to add powders or chemicals to adjust the pH. But adding certain materials, I forget which, to your filter and/or gravel. Over time they will buffer your pH.

Last edited by m4s4mur4; 01-28-2013 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling
m4s4mur4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
DC2Haze
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4s4mur4 View Post
Welcome to the fish tank world. I'm glad you started off with a 29 instead of a 10 because those things can't hold anything. I noticed you don't do enough water changes. Those should be weekly rather than monthly. I don't think you mentioned cycling your tank. That's an important process that develops the tanks "good bacteria" nonetheless it has already begun. About filters and lighting, like tank size that's an area you really don't want to skimp on because they will be your limiting factor to your plants and fish. Once you get comfortable with this tank there's plenty to learn on this forum.

Oh and your pH issue. You don't really want to add powders or chemicals to adjust the pH. But adding certain materials, I forget which, to your filter and/or gravel. Over time they will buffer your pH.
Thank you very much.

I have only done one water change so far and will be doing another one this weekend. Should i continue to do 5 gallon water changes weekly or do i need to change more water?

I have been using RO water from the pet shop.
DC2Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I used to do water changes monthly... just pay attention to your plants and fish. top off as needed.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Albino Sick Led
Algae Grower

Default Can not go wrong with EHEIM External Canisters

Welcome to the Planted Tank and congratulations on setting yourself up with a hobby that is sure to repay you back with beauty and awe given that you put in the necessary time and maintenance for it!

I currently maintain a planted tank with mainly african cichlids as well as a Black Convict like yourself, parrot chichlid, chinese algae eaters, senegal bichir, plecos and a Blue Freshwater lobster.

In regards to what a good fillter would be, it really depends on what you plan on putting in your tank and what you expect from it. I, myself, like to have more filtration than necessary and usually account for much more filtering than simply the "size" of my tank. I think these would be worth looking into

-EHEIM 2211 external canister filter

-FLUVAL 206 external canister filter

Different factors will affect or aid your filtration as well though
-How stocked you want to have your tank
-Plants? No Plants?
-If yes on plants, what type of fertilizers would you be using?
-Water changes

Keep in mind that a great filter will do wonders to a tank and help you out tremendously but you should still do maintenance and not rely on your filter 100% to do the cleaning for you. Also, when you look into buying filters, if you ever plan on having filter media within the filters, that would affect your filter flow of GPH (gallons filtrated/ hour). All filters that state their GPH on the specificaitions will almost always make you aware that this is WITHOUTH MEDIA in them.

I currently have a 55 gallon long tank and just orderd 2 - EHEIM 2213 external canisters (up to 60 gal). Theoritically speaking, one would suffice, but i wouldl like even better filtration and on top of that, nice water flow.

Good luck on your filter search and remember that everyone will have different opinions about what is "better". You have to just get in there and start working with it and test out what you like and get an idea of what you are looking for.

Nothing, they just waved...
Albino Sick Led is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Waters
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Haze View Post
Hello everyone!!

In the tank i have:
  • 1- Convict Cichlid
  • 1- African Cichlid
  • 3- Tiger barbs
  • 3- Green barbs
  • 1- Rainbow shark? (he is black/red)
  • 2- Mexican Oakleaf plants
From what i learned after buying everything was cichlids can be aggresive and will destroy everything.... i wish they told me that at the store.

Thanks in advanced.
Actually all the fish in there can be aggressive. The Tiger barbs are known fin nippers and the Rainbow sharks can get aggressive as they mature.....unfortunately you already know about the Cichlids. Might be an interesting grouping of fish
Waters is offline   Reply With Quote