Strictly RED planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Judge Judy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Strictly RED planted tank

have you ever seen anything like that? i would guess you need some really good c02 reactor for that and a really good substrate like soil or peat moss. I read about some Rotala Macrandra and i jst fell in love with it. got me thinking what is the best set up for a all red planted tank.
Judge Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I like the idea, can't recall any though that featured exclusively red plants.

Probably need alot of iron and trace.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I think it would look better if you do mainly red/orange plants with the odd green plant dotted around ....like the opposite of what we usually see with the reds to break up the greens. I agree that Rotala Macrandra is a stunning plant !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think the best would be to do all red, but then have some of those red plants be varigated or just plants with a lot of red highlighting.

Things I'd throw into a tank like this are R. macrandra Japan Red, R. Sunset, L. Atlantis, L. Pantanal, L. glandulousa, Lagenandra meeboldii Pink, certain red crypt species, different lotus species that are mainly red, Red varients of sword plants such as Red Rubin, Aflame (which is near black), and things like that.

You get different shades of red, some green tinges, but you still have a ton of red and enough contrast to make it pleasing to the eye.

Only problem is foreground....no clue what would work color wise in a tank like this.

Also, you would be required to have a high tech tank, preferably one that has a dirt substrate.

For fish, I would choose things that are a contrasting color actually, aim for blues and such. I think green neons would be fantastic, or certain angelfish strains......

Or even EBJD if you wanted to be that guy that everyone is jealous of :P
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

May be you can do two halves: the background-middle ground can be all red but for the foreground carpet some green HC or dwarf grass for contrast?

If you do it, post pics!
abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

they look weird,, not really any contrast
whereas green plants, u have bright to dark green and everywhere in between
red plants all kinda blend in once u put them side by side
u can even do a red lawn with blyxa if u have enough light
Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

There is a red Hygrophila that grows low as well as a Rotala and purple Staurogyne.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ils.php?id=254
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ils.php?id=209

If you chose wisely a red tank would have a lot of variety as Ammannias and Neasaeas vary from yellow through salmon pink to red and lots of red leaved plants fade to green and some have red to purple tinged green leaves rather than a solid color. Use crypts, mostly they will look a bit brown even though they have a lot of red to them. Also work with leaf shape and plant density to create interest.

crazydaz is crazy about red plants. Not a bad journal to read through and drool over if you are thinking red!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=412
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

I think its a good idea. It would require a good set up though. Rotala colorata is pretty red and can be kept pretty low for a foreground. Ludwigia 'red' is an easy red plant to keep.

I dont really agree with the statement that the reds all blend together, there are plenty of differemt reds just like greens. I dont think anyone has actually done what you are proposing so how would anyone know without seeing it? If the tank was small it would probably look blurred together if too many species were used, but in a bigger tank where the groups could be distinguished I bet you could see the contrast. Unless of course your red-green color blind then it wont matter at all.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Gotta have some green
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
I think its a good idea. It would require a good set up though. Rotala colorata is pretty red and can be kept pretty low for a foreground. Ludwigia 'red' is an easy red plant to keep.

I dont really agree with the statement that the reds all blend together, there are plenty of differemt reds just like greens. I dont think anyone has actually done what you are proposing so how would anyone know without seeing it? If the tank was small it would probably look blurred together if too many species were used, but in a bigger tank where the groups could be distinguished I bet you could see the contrast. Unless of course your red-green color blind then it wont matter at all.
It all comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. of course there are different shades and shapes of red. But they just dont seem to mix as well together to me
Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
crazydaz is crazy about red plants. Not a bad journal to read through and drool over if you are thinking red!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=412
I agree, this rivals any "green planted tank"

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Judge Judy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

that crazdaz tank is the closest thing to what i was talking about and it looks sick! its so beautiful. someone mentioned a foreground, i'd go with the ludwigia red or a lot of java moss.
Judge Judy is offline   Reply With Quote