Amazonian frogsbit is Easy to grow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
wickerstick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Amazonian frogsbit is Easy to grow

I just wanted to show you guys this. I never dose'd this tank its all natural.

beware. tank is very dark. not too dirty, i think this was because the wood was not boiled (too big) and is releasing tannins (sp?) into the water. at first i was doing bi weekly water changes then went to weekly. now im slouching on it again becuase my killifish were having baby's which led me to not clean the tank so often and i learn somthing

first of all im on well water. however it seems like the water isn't as is should be (low GH, High PH High KH.) but the killis must like it if they are breeding in the tank.

second. the frogsbit seems like the perfect plant for killifish mating/babies.
the simple fact that i did nothing to promote breeding and they eggs hatched without being taken out and dried. My assumption is the killis layed there eggs in the think of the frogsbit. near the top of the water. or somehow they got the eggs on top of the frogsbit and they fell into the water and hatched near the surface.

anyway. theres some pics, don't say my tank is filthy, i just like to think of it as a blackwater biotope

wickerstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Bear Sage
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looks good man. Really digging the blackwater vibe. some cardinal tetras would look fantastic in there.
Bear Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
diyer3984
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

That's the kind of dirty we all can appreciate.
Nice tank

Check out my Daphnia Farm
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...arm-enjoy.html

Last edited by diyer3984; 03-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: added to it
diyer3984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
kimboden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Re: Amazonian frogsbit is Easy to grow

I love a black water tank! Unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't so I can't have one.

Kim
kimboden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I await the day you do a water change and everything dies.

Don't fall into the "my fish are alive so the water is fine" trap. Run ammonia and parameter tests!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
wickerstick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

thanks for the tip, Right know i only have the API multi test kit with the strips to dip shake of and check. they are kinda confusing and misleading, what would be a good test, i had 0 ammonia and nitrates on the test i made. just low GH high PH high KH, Ill post a pic tonight of the strip next to the result's. if theres a better test kit thats easy and will test multiple things in a manner i can read. i have another pic her of the tank before the growth took off!

a little clearer you can actually see the java fern lol the dark sport on the botton is a black sand river from an older aqua scape. maybe ill post some older pictures of previous setups later when i have more free time one my hands. this was started because originally i was going to start a native fish tank and the would looks super cool i knew local fish would love it. my plan was to introduce some fingerling largmouth bass, baby bluegill, and possibly a crappie.
at one point i did have a couple baby sandbass living there but after seeing how much live food they would eat i moved on to Killifish, since i could not obtain some pike-top livebearers, and im very happy i did, they do eat small fish but i mainley feed bloodworms, brine shrimp, and flakes or small shrimp pellets.

Anyway the roots are shooting down just short of a foot. (some of them) most are around 8-10inches with some going longer.

This setup: 75G
48" Hagen GLO T5HO
AC110 .
well water 100ft deep (dont worry its crystal clear, You should see my GF's chiclid tank as well as my 36G both clean and clear)

the key is the right light, well water, and as little surface agitation as possible, not alot of current. once it starts taking off it will cover the entire tank within a month so make sure you have people ready to take some off your hands, when mines gets to be too much i donate it to the LFS
wickerstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogsbit, topwater