My swordtails are the greatest algae eaters out there....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (98/100%)

My swordtails are the greatest algae eaters out there....

Hello, just wanted to share my story on the greatest algae eaters out there which are also very hardy.

About two months ago I turned my ADA tank into high tech where I am dumping a ton of light, ferts and co2. There is so much co2 here that amano shrimp die within a few hours so I would say that my tank is uninhabitable (I keep tons of rare shrimp in another tank so keeping inverts is my forte). From past experiences I have always dealt with some type of algae when setting up a new tank but this one has nothing and it's only been going for two months. I would say that 90% of that is attributed to the high co2 being put in this tank and the other 10% to my swordtails. They are constantly picking at leaves even though I do not see any algae...there has to be something there since their poop is green. None of the leaves are damaged so they are definitely not eating the plants. I have sensitive plants such as HC, DOWNOI and TONINA.

These aren't the regular pet store swords...they are a bit pricer and purchased on aqua bid. It's amazing what fish will do if you only feed them once a week.

Since it's against the rules to link aquabid links, here are the pics from the seller's random auction. I've had these swordtails for about 6 months (red tuxedo, albino gold tuxedo and albino tuxedo).

Last edited by hedge_fund; 02-10-2013 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: kjkn
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

That's very interesting! Those are some nice looking swordtails
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Very pretty fish, but aren't they platys or just not mature?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

looks like platys to me
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Platies do not grow swords. My birthday present for my first birthday was a fish tank so I've kept aquariums 31 years now, I'm positive these are not platies.

Those are stock pics I used from the guy's auction which were young juvenile swordtails.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Plates are shorter and rounded vs swordtails longer and slimmer.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Mollies do a pretty good job on algae as well. Quite a few live bearing species will so long as they're kept hungry.

Last re-scape I did I pulled out some driftwood mounted anubia--the newer growth was cut off and mounted on a new piece and I tossed the remainder into my endler cull tank for safe-keeping until I had time to deal with it. The old leaves had quite a bit of algae on 'em and the endlers swarmed it as soon as it hit the tank and got the leaves surprisingly clean.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Mollies do a pretty good job on algae as well. Quite a few live bearing species will so long as they're kept hungry.

Last re-scape I did I pulled out some driftwood mounted anubia--the newer growth was cut off and mounted on a new piece and I tossed the remainder into my endler cull tank for safe-keeping until I had time to deal with it. The old leaves had quite a bit of algae on 'em and the endlers swarmed it as soon as it hit the tank and got the leaves surprisingly clean.
Nice, glad livebearers are keeping your tanks clean as well. As you said above, the trick is to keep them very hungry. My fish do nothing but constnatly pick at the glass, gravel and plant leaves.

I'm too lazy to get up off the couch but here they are right this minute. You can see that the one in the far right is picking at a leaf.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Actually, I got some decent action shots and one of the swords with neon green poop hah.

I have been letting them eat their offspring but next time I'll try catching some....hopefully I can share with the forum.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Nice looking Platys, almost Koi !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #11
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

On a side note, if anybody wants some males then let me know. They are literally going to kill each other soon. My main planted tank has one male with 4 young females but my other tank houses mostly males. You would swear that world war 3 was going on. The other day they were going so hardcore that one of the males jumped out through a heater vent (tank has a cover on it).

Pretty fish too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.