crs ph 6.4 kh 2 gh 4 breeding question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

crs ph 6.4 kh 2 gh 4 breeding question

so if ph is solid at 6.4 doesnt move

so far ive bin able to get my kh to 2 using ro and tap mix
and my gh to 4 ro and tap
tank is planted and cycled properly
also have purigen in filter

ive only had these for what a month or so

seeing a bunch of molts but cant see any berried. the one i had that was berried when i first got the crs some how misteriously lost its eggs i guess.

does it usually take a while for them to get used to the tank ?

is my kh being 2 causing a problem idk?

im feeding them spinach (they love it?)
they eat some fish flakes once a week or so
alge

they all seem great and happy (as happy as a shrimp can be)

but nothing is happing yet
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Are they of breeding age?
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i would say prob not to breeding age yet and or could be new tank as well. i had my crs for about 4 months before they started breeding. and also the time of year. they seem to slow down in winter months. alot of people deal with this. most of my shrimp start to breed more around the first part of march and stop late october to november
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes i have about 10 mature size and 9 smaller ones down to one that looks like it was born 3 weeks before i got it so i think my waters good enough to keep babies thats why i was wondering about not berried yet

yeah i read that winter slows down breeding. wish the lfs had that m ero stuff hahaha geturdone

they are such cool shrimp some are 3 band and some just have that shoulder red and the rest is white very awesome.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Sometimes it can take a couple of months for them to settle in.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

don't worry about eros or any other things, let them do their thing and let time take its course.

You may have gotten juvis, but babies during the first week or so are the most delicate and getting them past the first 1-2 weeks is the hardest window, after that if they make it, they are usually doing good and you'll get a good percentage of those babies that make it to adulthood, providing the params are fine, etc. Its those first couple of weeks that you loose most of your babies if something isn't right for them, an aged tank with lots of bio-film, low nitrates, etc will help.

As for breeding, what usually gets mine in the mood despite winter, better than fancy sprays or stuff, are frozen bloodworms. Only a few, they don't need a lot of protein, and only once a month, but adding them to my tank usually gets berries soon after.

First time moms will drop eggs a lot of times, it's normal.

Sometimes it just takes time too for them to settle in. The more you mess with chemicals or obsess over some reading and messing with the water constantly will slow down their breeding. Ideally the kH should be a bit lower, but it may just be time of year, new to the tank, etc.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok yeah i gave them live bloodworms they loved them

and im trying to get my kh down more bin buying gallons at acme of ro water im up to 50 bucks in water already hahah..

i did like 6 here and 9 there then 7gallons i should have done a larger water change at once id probley be a kh 0 by now

it turns color immediatly at second drop so i suspect is more of a high 1kh but who knows.

ill tell you what thought purigen is the most amazing thing ive ever seen my water was clean and clear before it. now it looks like bottled water
Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Give them another 3-4 weeks. Once you see berried female, give them a little bit of time. Also note that they are still very young. They might berried but will continue to grow and the amount of eggs they carry increases.

As for breeding slowing down in the winter...That is not my experience. They are still breeding crazy for throughout the winter. It helps to keep tank parameter stable.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post

Sometimes it just takes time too for them to settle in. The more you mess with chemicals or obsess over some reading and messing with the water constantly will slow down their breeding. Ideally the kH should be a bit lower, but it may just be time of year, new to the tank, etc.
Couldn't say it better. My experience with CRS is don't try to fine tune things too much. Leave it alone..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.