Nero's Redivivus Legend - 3g Betta Tank (Hardscape decision help pg.2)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Nero's Redivivus Legend - 3g Betta Tank (Hardscape decision help pg.2)

Everyone loves a fiesty lil Betta, am I right... or am I right??? Well I was up too late for my own good last weekend and stumbled upon this devlish charmer on evilbay.

Thank to OVT, he already has a name as well...

Meet Nero.

I wasn't familar with the name when he 1st mentioned it, but after a bit of reading I was convinced. A betta name just doesn't get ANY better than that.

After Nero's suicide, there was a widespread belief, especially in the eastern provinces, that he was not dead and somehow would return. This belief came to be known as the "Nero Redivivus Legend", hence the 'scape name.

Equipment
Picotope 3g Tank
Hydro 50w Heater
Aqua Clear HOB filter

Substrate/Hardscape
Flourite black sand
1st Layer Laterite Clay
Smooth River Stones

Flora
Anacharis (sp)
Hydrocoytle
Crypt Parva
Limnophila Sessiliflora
Drawf Lilly
Hygrophila Polysperma? (Obatined via RAOK)
Floating Riccia
Salvina Minima

Fauna
Solid Black HM Plakat Betta
(Maybe some Bumble Bee Gobies... let's see how friendly this guy is, lol)

One thing I want in there that isnt, is a nice arched piece of driftwood. I'd like to have it start in the midst of my BG plants in the back left... and that's all I got so far.

I'm really hoping this grows in as I have it pictured in my head. I'm imagining the Limnophila, Anachris & Hygrophila to grow tall in the left back corner. But I plan to keep the Hygrophila trimmed just a touch shorter than the other two.

I'm wanting to allow the Hydrocotyle to creep along, I'll guide it about as I see fit. A very fun plant IMO.

Hoping the Parva makes a nice lil carpet in the front right/middle area. I may steal more from the shrimp tank, we'll see.

Gonna let the Lilly do it's thing and reach the surface and flow about. I'm sure Nero will love that. *nods*

Riccia and Salvina Minima I'll manage as it grows. Mainly tossed it in there cos my other tanks had too much and figured it'd be good for the cycle.
That's also why there are pond snails in there. Finally found a good use for em. The better to cycle with my deary...

Speaking of, yes the tank IS still cycling. It's been up close to 2 weeks so far. I've yet to test any of the params, but Nero has a place to hang out until his Colosseum is ready (see what I did there, heh).

His temporary home (coz I couldn't fight my child-like urge to buy buy BUY) will be my Finnex breeder box, which is hanging on my community. I even moved all the moss to one side to make room for em.

So what do you guys think? If all this wasn't such an impulse, I'm blaming it on MTS btw, I prolly would have picked other plants ect ect. But I just used what I had laying around for this set up. Overall, I think I'm liking it
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by I<3<*))))><; 09-21-2013 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: typo
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Off topic, but I just double-checked, just in case: from what I can tell, I am still a guy, at least for the time being.

Meanwhile, Waiting for Nero to show up...

v3
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh Im so sorry, I had no idea. For real, no offense meant.
(editing my goof)

As am I, expecting him wednesday or thrusday!!!
Just trying to get a headstart on the journal
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by I<3<*))))><; 09-10-2013 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: :)
Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

No harm done, my orientation remains strong

v3
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
primo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice tank! Really like your hard scaping.

I picked up some crypt parva last night myself and am very tempted to go get the other two pots, what an awesome plant! Very quickly has become my new favourite I think.

As for the carpet, does it propagate faster than normal crypt speed??
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I checked the status of Nero on USPS earlier today... says I should get em tomorrow, wahoo! Though tbh I'm a little doubtful as he is still in TX while I'm in OH, guess we'll have to wait & find out.

@ Primo - Thanks I like the stones enough but it still seems like it's lacking. I ordered 2 "small' mopani driftwood. I'm hoping least one of em looks nice & I can add it. I had the hardest time trying to find a piece of wood to fit the Picotope's dimensions (11-3/4" x 8-7/8" x 8") & without it having a lotta branchy pieces (not wanting to damage Nero's finnage). So I took a gamble with these generic pieces, again will have to wait & see what I end up receiving.

I fricking LOVE crypt parva, granted its the only crypt I've tried so far so unsure on how quickly it propgates in comparison to other crypts.

I ordered 4 or 5 pots in June... for a few weeks my snails and corys kept ripping em up. So they didn't do much growing then. I finally gave up having them in that tank and replanted in my shrimp setup. They've been there for about 2 months now and I'd like to think they've made good progress. Wish I had before and after pics, but alas I don't.

IMO though get more def won't hurt. Also split them up before planting if you haven't. I got an average of 4-5 sections to plant from each of my pots. Some of those are already back to about the size of the original pots too!
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
OVT
Carpe Diem

I must have put 6 pots if parva in my tank. After couple of months it looks like I now have 1/2. I'm just not having much luck with crypts.

If the tracking info is from USPS, it us not uncommon for it to run behind. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and him.

v3
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sweetness, checked USPS again, said he is in my city as of 11:30pm! So no reason he shouldn't be here tomorrow. I'm so not gonna be able to sleep now, lol... gonna be thinking about him alllllllllllll night.

I'm shocked to hear Crytps don't do well for you OVT. I've seen your tanks & they are the thing of dreams. Seriously awe-inspring.. to say the least.
But I guess we all have our cyrpt-tonite....ba-dah-bish (my cymbol impression, hehe).
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Nice. : )
What a gorgeous fish. And I thought you named him after the band. Lol
I learned something new.
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
nerdariostomp
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looks like a really good betta. I've been thinking of taking the plunge away from the wild types I've been keeping. Also, check out our fish club in Columbus. It's pretty cool with semi monthly meetings and there's an auction coming up in October as well as many other events. Normally some nice plants and always interesting fish/inverts turn out at the auction.

http://www.columbusfishclub.org/
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nero is finally home! He acclimated like a pro, has already eaten and is chilling in his temporary home for now. Hopefully his tank will be officially ready for him in a week or so.

He seems a bit skiddish as of now. I was trying to get him to react to my finger to get a good shot & he swims away, lol. Not quite living up to his namesake just yet, but I'll give em time to adjust before I judge his demeanor.

Since he refused to flare, & I didn't want to stress him too much, oh also I kinda suck at taking pics apparently... this is my best shot. He is also tricky to photograph being all black & such.
No worries, trust I will be taking loads more of em, & hopefully they get better, hah.

@ Chey, thanks so much missy! O.o a band called Nero... must check em out! You taught me something new too, isn't learning fun :P

@ nerdario, thanks so much! That club def sounds intriging... heading over to check it out.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

Congrats on the new betta! He's a beauty
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #13
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Cool, he looks great! I'm sure he will have a very happy life with you.

He'll come around soon and start watching you back, but it will probably still be hard to get a good picture. They wiggle and flutter too much.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Duck5003 & Wannaberooted
He is starting to come around, slowy yet surely!

His tank is all cycled!!
Im getting some peacock moss, anubias nana petite and some more crypt parva from h4n Monday, so def won't be adding him until the final touches are done. I'll prolly end up replanting it all... lol.
Gotta make room for the wood I got in today, 2 peices of mopani driftwood in today. Only one will be used. Im soaking them atm. But Ill take pics tomorrow and ask your guys' opinions.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
primo
Algae Grower

Congrats on the arrival!

I did separate my parva and got close to 20 plants out of it! Pretty awesome for $7! Was at the LFS and there's still 3 pots but I've resisted the urge.... for now. In my 55g it's been picked at a little bit and it's low light so I hope it does okay... mind you I am getting my dual T5 tomorrow! In my 2g Spec it's doing just fine.

Can't wait to see the boss in his forever tank.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote