Having Problems: - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #16
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

So you dose every water change. Would this be included in weekly water changes? Does it hang around long, or dilute easily? Just worried about over dosing, that's all.

What else does anyone suggest dosing? My tap water has a lot of iron in it, which I mix with RO water.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2003, 09:43 PM   #17
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

If you are already battling green and hazy water and algae you need to be extra careful with adding fertilizers.
Especially with NO3... your tapwater might be 0, but have you tested your tank water? Is your tank planted densely, and most plants are growing steadily? How is your stocking level?
You need to be careful, by adding fertilizer you can definitely make an algae problem worse.

Regarding the K2SO4, it dissolves quickly and completely.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 PM   #18
mattrmiller
Planted Member

I will post my water parameters when I get home tonight, I have not checked them in a while.. probably should have.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:33 PM   #19
mattrmiller
Planted Member

The only think I can see about my tank is the KH is really high... does this usually mean high iron? I do not have an iron test.

PH: 7.6
Nitrate: .1
Nitrite: 0
GH: 89.5-107.4
KH: 179-196
Ammonia: 0
Old 09-11-2003, 11:47 PM   #20
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

High KH means your water contains a lot of carbonates and bicarbonates, which buffer against pH changes. I believe this is not related to iron, but a good thing when you add CO2, since you will not experience sudden changes in pH.

Do you know what Nitrate 0.1 means? I am asking because my test kit starts with 5 ppm.

Regarding iron... it is difficult to test for it, and just like with potassium, most ppl just add the hopefully correct amount.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #21
JLudwig
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Regarding iron... it is difficult to test for it, and just like with potassium, most ppl just add the hopefully correct amount.
Additionally iron in the tap is not good. Iron in tap water is usually present in a simple ionic state: Fe3+, whereas plants need Fe2+. On contact with water iron tho Fe2+ is immediately oxidized to an unusable form Fe3+. If you look at any liquid fertilizers for aquarium, you'll find that the iron is chelated (KEY-LATED). This means an organic molecule, usually EDTA or gluconate, the chelating agent surround the iron and prevents oxygen from nipping away to it.

In nature, iron comes from the substrate (soil), where there is no oxygen present, and unoxidized iron exists... so despite your tap being iron rich you still need to add it.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:17 AM   #22
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Before you go adding anything be sure to zero out all your parameters through heavy water changes...

Right now you are steering in a bad direction...

Know what you are lacking before you add !

Easy on the "Add this" fella's....... jeeez, all tanks are different

One important question if I might?

How long you been setup?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:25 AM   #23
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Thank you to all who have helped. I have not added anything yet. I am not very impressed with the Hagen co2 system, I guess it would be better for some situations... just not mine. So I will be returning it and setting up a DIY. I have to make one for my larger tank anyway. Just kill two birds with one stone. The tank has been setup for a while now. I will probably be doing some water changes more frequently, until I pass the algae bloom. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:48 AM   #24
Triggerfish1
Algae Grower

what don't you like about the hagen setup?
Triggerfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2003, 05:09 AM   #25
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Well the reactor wasn't the greatest. I actually had to modify it just to get the bubble to flow correctly into the ramp. The reactor was huge on the small tank I have. And after 3 days I still wasn't getting that many bubbles. I am sure I set it up right. I am sure it is good for some situations, but I am going to construct a DIY...I think.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:33 AM   #26
Triggerfish1
Algae Grower

give the canister a little shake
Triggerfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2003, 06:36 AM   #27
mattrmiller
Planted Member

I did, I just wasn't that impressed. The canister was pretty nice, but the reactor needs work IMO. I think a DIY method would be better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.