Having Problems:
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-10-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am still fighting my algae and haze water problems. I am thinking bout switching to tap water, because RO water is not cutting it. Either that or I will still mix them, but more tap water. I was wondering what people dose each week, and what the ideal ranges are for Macros. I have recently started CO2, and that will probably help... but I need to clean up my tank as far as macros are going. If someone could help me, I am a little frustrated. Thank you.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Now that you've started CO2, I'm sure you'll find it easier to fight off algae. But balance is still important. Shoot for 5ppm NO3 and 0.5ppm PO4. Keep up with trace elements per the manufacturer's recommended dosage and dose 1 tsp / 50 gallons per week of Potassium Chloride or Sulfate.

Why do you feel the RO is not cutting it? Have you seen better growth with tap water? If so, perhaps your tap water is supplying some mineral that you are lacking.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 PM   #3
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

What are your tap water parameters?
What is your RO to tap water ratio?

Mike
Old 09-10-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
mattrmiller
Planted Member

I have not tested my tap water in a while. I used about 4 cups of tap water in my 20 gallon RO. I need to re test my tap water.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Matt,

As far as percentages, ppm, etc for nutrients...check out Chucks Planted Aquaria pages...here is the link....I use this to dose my tank.

Mike

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:57 AM   #6
JLudwig
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrmiller
I have not tested my tap water in a while. I used about 4 cups of tap water in my 20 gallon RO. I need to re test my tap water.
Unless you have liquid rock for water (GH=26ish) 4 cups in 20 gallons is not much. Ideally you want 4dKH/4dGH... no real need for RO tho, there are very few species that actually need soft water... (rotala wallichii/eustralis stellata come to mind)... You need to either measure or contact your water utility. GH is Mg++ and Ca++ both of which are needed by plants in quantity... the 4dKH is there to buffer the system. For example, if you have GH=16, mixing 4-to-1 would be appropriate, but I grew plants just fine in GH24 in Philadelphia... my wife has an RO unit for the reef tank, I'll maybe use it every month or two for breeding/experiment for still there is no need unless your water is contaminated (>25ppm NO3 for eg)
Old 09-11-2003, 01:14 AM   #7
mattrmiller
Planted Member

I have read that website and used the calculator, but I do not know what products people use in order to dose their tanks. I am testing my tap water right now, I will post results.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:35 AM   #8
mattrmiller
Planted Member

OK, here is my tap water parameters, I am sure these are accurate because I tested them twice. As you will quickly see I have extremely hard water, and I am not in a position to install a water softener.

Water Parameters:
PH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 2
KH: 196.9
GH: 286.4
Phosphate: 0
Nitrate: 0
Old 09-11-2003, 03:08 AM   #9
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Matt,

Sorry for the delay....See how I have my signature block? If you can post what size, lighting (WPG), types of fish and plants in that then we can attack your problem.

On the surface it seems as though you are not getting enough MACRO nutrients in your tank. With phosphates and nitrates at zero that could be a problem....most people suggest a 10 part nitrate to 1 part phosphate ratio. Nitrates should run around 5ppm to 10ppm and phosphate 1 tenth of that. Potassium should be around 20ppm...hard for a test on this one but people say that overdosing is not that critical.

Look in a search for fertilizer...Rex Grigg has some great posts on this. If you still have questions Ill be sure to give you some "home" remedies for chemicals you can pick up to fertilize!

Hope that helps!

Mike

Old 09-11-2003, 12:19 PM   #10
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Oh, I don't think I've ever noticed anyone with nitrites in the tap water.

I think Prime can detox the nitrites, but you would want to consider treating separate from the tank perhaps. I'm not sure if that is necessary, really.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:19 PM   #11
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Sorry, I have yet to update my signature. I will do so shortly. My tank looks like this.

20 gallon long
55 watts CF
Gravel substrate.
RO water, mixed with some tap
Heavily planted.

I think I have decided to move some of my plants and fish to a larger tank. Since this tank is so small, water parameters fluctuate easier then a larger tank. I am still giving the CO2 a try, and will for a while longer. I think with a good water change, removing some plants, fish, a scrub as well. I will be able to get on the right track with it all. I was just wondering what people dosed on water changes. What products people used for potassium, etc. I know what needs to be added, I am just concerned about what products are good/bad. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #12
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For potassium I dose pure K2SO4 Potassium sulfate. For nitrates KNo3....you can get this from some stump removers that are pure KNO3...Grants is one...I think so is Greenlight.
Hope that helps.

Mike

Old 09-11-2003, 06:12 PM   #13
mattrmiller
Planted Member

K2SO4 Potassium sulfate, where do you get this? How much is it usually? Is it liquid or powder? And this is not toxic to fish? Sorry of all the questions.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Possible sources for K2SO4 are hydroponics stores, garden centers, fertilizer companies, internet... You can also use KCl, available as "No Salt" salt substitute in grocery stores.

Usually you dose about 1 tsp per 50 gallons, depending on the lighting and overall plant mass and water change regimen.

The one I got from a fertilizer co is a whitish powder.

As long as you keep up water changes and don't insanely overdose it is not toxic to fish.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 06:37 PM   #15
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

KCl also available as water softener pellets, as very large crystals. 40 lbs aboaut $8.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote