Good schooling fish for angels?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Good schooling fish for angels?

I am looking for a great schooling fish for my 2 Angels. I am already aware of Rummynose Tetras and I have had Cardinal Tetra and Black Neon Tetras. I currently have Serpae Tetras in there at the moment. I bought those fairly recently after getting rid of the cardinals and Black neons, but I just read that they can be fin nippers, so now I am on the hunt againt.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have 15 Buenos Aires tetras that school really well, but they can nip at grassy plants now, and then, other than that they are extremely active.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
I have 15 Buenos Aires tetras that school really well, but they can nip at grassy plants now, and then, other than that they are extremely active.
I will have to check those out. The only reason I mentioned the ones above in my post were either because they are too hard to get a hold of or they just didnt work out in my setup with my angels (due to angels eating them). Looking for other suggestions...I am realy digging the reddish tetras. Anything looking plain black and grey I am not digging so much.

Thanks Crypt!

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

the problem is most of the bigger tetras can be nippy. only thing you can do is try them. i have a large school of columbian tetras in with my 6 angels ( 6 adult angels inclueds a breeding pair) and 15 or 16 columbians in a 55. yes i know its a bit over stocked especialy when you facter in the guppy fry that didnt get eaten and grew up lol. if i put any other fish in the tank the tetras go right after them no matter what it is but are just fine with the angels. so it kinda depends on the fish
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
the problem is most of the bigger tetras can be nippy. only thing you can do is try them. i have a large school of columbian tetras in with my 6 angels ( 6 adult angels inclueds a breeding pair) and 15 or 16 columbians in a 55. yes i know its a bit over stocked especialy when you facter in the guppy fry that didnt get eaten and grew up lol. if i put any other fish in the tank the tetras go right after them no matter what it is but are just fine with the angels. so it kinda depends on the fish
Yep thats kind of what I've been doing, just trying out different fish. The cardinal were being picked off, so I got rid of them before the population depleted too much. The Black Neon Tetras were not too thrilling to look at, though they worked out very well with the angels. I would really like to get my hands on some rummy nose tetras, but they are not readily available near me. The Serpaes seem to be doing ok, but just read they are quite nippy for slow moving fish like angels, and I'd rather not risk it...their reddish look is what I want in a schooling/shoaling group of fish, plus they are also very very cheap!

Fish
Plants
Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I have a school of Buenos Aires in my 125. They are my favorite fish, but I should tell you they eat my plants voraciously. I have tried many stem plants and hygro kompact is the only one that survives - all others were eaten within two days - including over 20 d. sag plants. I only recently was able to get more to put in a Buenos Aires free tank - lol. There are very few plants they don't eat in my tank.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I have a school of Buenos Aires in my 125. They are my favorite fish, but I should tell you they eat my plants voraciously. I have tried many stem plants and hygro kompact is the only one that survives - all others were eaten within two days - including over 20 d. sag plants. I only recently was able to get more to put in a Buenos Aires free tank - lol. There are very few plants they don't eat in my tank.
Well I guess I am staying away from them now. I don't need any schooling fish munching on my plants. What about Rasboras, or even Rosy Barbs? I like the red in them. Anyone kept these before with angels or other slow moving fish?

Fish
Plants
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
DKRST
Planted Member

White clouds are active and have nice color, particularly in a dark substrate tank, but it depends on the size of your angel's mouths! Active, but not spastic like danios can be. Don't seem to bother plants at all, not "nippy, except with each other. I don't know if I'd consider them tightly "schooling" as much as a shoaling fish.

I have a tank with very large angels and they ate multiple White clouds before I could relocate them. I've had White clouds in another tank with smaller adult angels for over a year and never lost any, other than one that jumped out of the tank. With the White Clouds, you can't crank the temp too high though. I keep my tank about 75F.
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
White clouds are active and have nice color, particularly in a dark substrate tank, but it depends on the size of your angel's mouths! Active, but not spastic like danios can be. Don't seem to bother plants at all, not "nippy, except with each other. I don't know if I'd consider them tightly "schooling" as much as a shoaling fish.

I have a tank with very large angels and they ate multiple White clouds before I could relocate them. I've had White clouds in another tank with smaller adult angels for over a year and never lost any, other than one that jumped out of the tank. With the White Clouds, you can't crank the temp too high though. I keep my tank about 75F.
I think white clouds might be out of the options. The angels are beginning to get up there in size.

These are the ones I have considered:

Cherry Barbs
Rosy Barbs
Odessa Barbs
Harlequin??? Rasboras
Rummynose Tetras (If I can find them)
I still like the Serpae Tetras
Red Minor Tetras
Red Phantom Tetras
Lemon Tetras
Penguin Tetras

So what do you all think?

Fish
Plants
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I have not kept Harlequin Rasboras with Angelfish, but I have kept them for years - they are one of my favorites, too. I have some in the 125 that also houses the Buenos Aires. The Harlequins have a beautiful rich deep coppery red color, and they shoal more than school. They stay together but not in a tight, nervous-looking group. Mine always stay in the upper 1/3 of the tank. I look forward to getting a large group together in a tank someday. Mine are also not the least bit shy, often coming close to me when I'm at the tank.

Edit; I have Rosy Barbs in a different tank. They don't school or shoal at all - they go about their way independently of each other. They breed like crazy, and they eat grassy plants. I took pics one day of them sucking up dwarf hairgrass like strands of spaghetti!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I have not kept Harlequin Rasboras with Angelfish, but I have kept them for years - they are one of my favorites, too. I have some in the 125 that also houses the Buenos Aires. The Harlequins have a beautiful rich deep coppery red color, and they shoal more than school. They stay together but not in a tight, nervous-looking group. Mine always stay in the upper 1/3 of the tank. I look forward to getting a large group together in a tank someday. Mine are also not the least bit shy, often coming close to me when I'm at the tank.

Edit; I have Rosy Barbs in a different tank. They don't school or shoal at all - they go about their way independently of each other. They breed like crazy, and they eat grassy plants. I took pics one day of them sucking up dwarf hairgrass like strands of spaghetti!
Ok well that narrows down the list a bit, I would imagine that most barbs will nibble on my plants, which I do not want.

Harlequin??? Rasboras
Red Minor Tetras
Red Phantom Tetras
Lemon Tetras
Penguin Tetras

Fish
Plants
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
farrenator
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

FYI, Rummynose get to about the same size as Cardinals, so if your Angels were munching on the Cardinals, Rummynose don't stand much of a chance.

Tiger barbs would get big enough to avoid getting eaten. They are super active and it you get enough (5+) they will only bother themselves. I like the green tigers myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
Ok well that narrows down the list a bit, I would imagine that most barbs will nibble on my plants, which I do not want.

Harlequin??? Rasboras
Red Minor Tetras
Red Phantom Tetras
Lemon Tetras
Penguin Tetras
farrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
FYI, Rummynose get to about the same size as Cardinals, so if your Angels were munching on the Cardinals, Rummynose don't stand much of a chance.

Tiger barbs would get big enough to avoid getting eaten. They are super active and it you get enough (5+) they will only bother themselves. I like the green tigers myself.

I already have 9 tiger barbs in my 125 gallon. They are way too nippy, even with the group in there. My angels wouldn't stand a chance with them. I have already excluded them completely.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I hate tiger barbs lol are you dead set on tetras? Maybe another schooling species?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Good schooling fish for angels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
I hate tiger barbs lol are you dead set on tetras? Maybe another schooling species?
Absolutly! I am open to any other special that will not be eaten and nip at my angels!

Fish
Plants