Help with hardscape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
jajabinx89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Help with hardscape

Hi all, I'm putting together a little Marineland Eclipse 3 and have been playing with hardscape layouts. I haven't tried it in the actual tank yet because I'm paranoid about all the driftwood branches scratching the acrylic if I play around with it too much. So what you see is the tank dimensions represented by paper lining. Will have low light plants since I'm using stock lighting. (will probably make a thread later asking for advice about plant combinations/placement)

As far as the hardscape goes.. I really like the look of it so far, it reminds me of a little hidden cove or something. I was thinking about getting a little pocket mirror and putting it in the middle to give the illusion of a small body of water (substrate will be black fluorite).. not sure if that makes sense written out but it seems neat in my head, lol. The driftwood is also being propped up on a rock in the photo that I used to place the wood properly for pictures, I wouldn't use that one once I secure the driftwood in the tank (the tiny one wedged between the one in the front-right and the big one in the back). I have about 4-5 other rocks not included in the picture as well, but most of those are on the smallish side (maybe a little bigger than the smallest one in this photo).

I'm wondering if the one of the left is too out of place by itself, but when I add more rocks (even small ones), it seems too cluttered (to me, anyways). After all, it's only a 3 gal tank. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0365.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	82386  

jajabinx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like it. I don't think that left rock looks out of place at all. In nature, all the rocks in an area aren't always touching each other. The mirror idea might look neat, but it might look corny instead. I would have to actually see it to give you an opinion. I don't know what plants would look good with this, though. Too many plants would detract from the hardscape. If it were mine, I would put some moss and only a few other plants in it.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

i think the tree shouldnt have a rock behind it. its a very nice looking tree piece
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

yea, try to lose the big rock on the right maybe?
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

I would turn the rock on left so the point is facing the front left corner. This way it flows from right to left. (and maybe turn it on the shorter side so its not as tall.)

Last edited by UDGags; 02-07-2013 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: edit
UDGags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
jajabinx89
Algae Grower

Okay, I played around with everything again (for more time than I care to admit, lol) while taking everyone's suggestions into consideration (lrg back rock overpowers tree; try to make things point in a similar direction) and this is what I came up with. I apologize for my ridiculous phone camera quality, it's the best photo I could get. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, not sure about the angle of the rock in the bottom right corner, but I guess it's fine for now.. what do you think?

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0387.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	82930  

Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Looks nice and natural. Great job!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks good to me, where did you get that tree? I have been searching for weeks now to find one like it
hisxlency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
jajabinx89
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! I guess now on to planning plants.. Hisxlency, I got the driftwood from a website I stumbled upon, thaicatappa.com Great prices too. I feel your pain.. I was so picky about what driftwood I wanted since it's such a small tank- it's hard to find driftwood that would fit that I actually liked, lol.

Tags
eclipse 3, hardscape