Fluval Spec V light will no longer turn OFF
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
daylily
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry

Fluval Spec V light will no longer turn OFF

I have had my tank set up for almost 4 months.

The last few days, I am unable to get the light to turn off. The way my tank sits, if the switch is to the left, it's on blue lights... to the right white lights and in the middle is off.

If the white lights are on, and I switch it to the middle, the white lights stay on. If I move the switch all the way left, the blue lights come on. Back to the middle, the white lights come back on instead of no lights being on.

I've been unplugging the light bar to turn it off. If I plug it back in a few minutes later, the light **might** be off and stay off, or it might come back on when it's plugged in.

Can anyone think of any way to fix this? I really don't want to buy a new fixture.

I did think about getting a light timer - then the timer might turn the light on and off - but I thought I'd run it by everyone here to see if others had suggestions. I'm new at this, and thought that possible (shrugs shoulders) I need to clean the light or something?

I've read that some people upgrade the lights on the Spec V - but I really hope I can do something without spending $50 or $??.... And, I would like to keep the plastic lid, it works well for my Betta. I don't really want to go without a lid.

Thanks so much!
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Kelbrina
Algae Grower

I have the same tank and my moonlights stopped working. My local fish store swapped out a new light for me. Maybe ask where you purchased it at or contact fluval directly? If I recall the warranty was like a year?

20g Hex Community Tank | 5g CRS Tank | 10g Dwarf Puffer Tank | 20g High Community Tank x 2 | 5g Beta Tank
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
daylily
Algae Grower

OH, thanks! The store I got it at is having a big sale next week, and I planned to go (over an hours drive away)... so I will take it and see if they will do that.

I was planning on buying a second one, as I am finding the tank so easy to take care of... but now I don't know....

Sure would like to get one for a second betta tank.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

Default Fluval Problems....

I have had problems with fluval product before. I contacted the supplier on the internet and they replace the product with no problem. I would give that a shot...3 years ago, they sold the fluval folara tank setups and the lights were bad right out of the box. They replaced it and I got it with in 1 week. Really good service, if you ask me....

Ronnie
Attached Images

ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
daylily
Algae Grower

Ok, I will send them an email. Maybe I will hear from them before next week when I go to te store I bought it at.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

The store usually on covers 30 days, but that comes with a guarantee than 30 days and is handled by distributor. If you need more info, drop me a im and gladly return it.

Ronnie
ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
daylily
Algae Grower

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
daylily
Algae Grower

Well, still have not heard from Hagen/Fluval. I just sent another email. I did call the store I bought the tank at and they won't take it back.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
daylily
Algae Grower

Well, when I went to the big fish store today for their 50% off sale - A Fluval/Hagen rep was there! He broke open one of the boxed tanks and gave me a new light on the spot. He was going to send it to the store for me to pick up, but when I told him I lived an hour away, he decided to just replace it on the spot.

When, or if, I hear from the "Contact Us" site from their website, I'll tell them that a rep already replaced it.

Thanks, Tom from Hagen/Fluval!