is it safe to keep the plant iron band on in a shrimp tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

is it safe to keep the plant iron band on in a shrimp tank?

I purchased some Red Rotala Macrandra and Myrophyllum Tuberculatem yesterday from our local Big Als...very nice highly red plants.

I added them to the plant tank last night....this am I found 2 of my amanos and 1 cpo dead, along with all 9 of my 6 week old baby Taiwans that were in the breeder box attached to this tank.

I know I am at fault for something but don't know what I did wrong???

Could the red plants have given off some type of poison or could they have been fertilized in a tank with lots of copper (copper being deadly to shrimps) or was it the iron band leeched something into the water.

I am devastated at this loss, and trying to find an answer as this was the ONLY thing that was added last night. The shrimps were all fine at that time, so it happened during the night.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

First you should test your water to rule out the obvious things like ammonia spikes.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

If you purchased them yesterday and had them in your tank yesterday I think you should really rethink your quarantine procedure. I quarantine any and all plants for one week minimum. During that time they get PP dips (bleach dips if the plant can handle it) and then 3 day soak in alum. I do this more for killing off critters of course but it should handle any strange bacteria as well. It could have been fertilizers, copper, bacteria, a number of things but yes, if that's all you did and had that many deaths I would surely point to the plants. As far as 'iron band' if you are talking about the plant sinkers they are zinc I believe and I've used them in shrimp tanks long term with no ill effects noted.

As a side note, I have stopped adding any plants to any tanks that are important to me. I have a tank full of cherries and crays that I will sometimes put something like a moss ball in to test. But my two other tanks with more expensive shrimp in them, I simply am too paranoid to add any plants. They are stuck with what I start the tanks with
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Hi A,

sorry to hear of your loss. With all things being unchanged, i'd remove those plants immediately. The metal strip may be cause for concern but also anything that came along with the plants themselves would be suspect as plants sold in retail are generally farmed in large tanks designed for mass growth. so they are likely heavily fertilized for maximum profitability.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

So sorry to hear about your loss! I too am suffering mystery deaths in my Taiwan tank. *sigh* Like ravensgate, I tend to quarentine/treat everything I get at this point, including plants. Just had too many bad experiences.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes it probably was some type of bacteria that was on the plants...I did manage just now to fish 2 amanos on their last legs out and put them in another tank with an airstone that I had setup for the Taiwan babies to go into.

They are still alive and seem to be reviving a bit....time will tell.

I did a 50% RO water change and took out the floss and rinsed out the sponge and added new floss to the filter, and took out all remaining critters.

will keep any living critters out of this tank for a few weeks.

Someone else said it was probably a chemical in the LFS plant tank that kills snails! They dose their plants before selling them.

Its my fault...I was tired from a day of driving around all over the place delivering/picking up things, and didn't think to put the plants into the other plant tank which has no living creatures in it....just popped them into the big plant tank and shut off the lights.

Hard lesson to learn I can tell you....I was just going to transfer these 9 baby BKKs/WRs to the other tank I had setup for them to grow out in....arrrggggghhh!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think acity got it spot on. A lot of pet store plants are grown emersed or out of water in big plant farms. Because they are grown out of the water, bugs are a problem, so the plants are heavily sprayed with insecticide to keep the bugs off them. BA's usually gets new shipments in on Tuesdays, so if they were new plants just in, they probably barely had time to be in the water or let the bug spray wash off or be filtered out.

Sucks on loosing the TB babies, and your other critters. Part of the reason my planted tanks are planted tanks with fish, and my shrimp tanks are bare. Less things in, less chance for something bad, whether it's plants, substrate, whatever.

I have put BA's plants with the metal rings in my tanks before and never had a problem, even ones with shrimp, so I think it may have been new plants coming in, probably grown in a big farm out of water that are sprayed with bug poison.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Iron strip is actually composed of lead.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used some sort of insecticide because if you're into aquatic plants, leaf miner caterpillars are the some of the worst pests/hitchhikers to introduce into your planted invert tank.

These mining leaf cutting pests are an absolute menace once they get a breeding colony in your tank. Those things can strip all the leaves your tank in a few weeks if you don't pay attention.

A lot of places that do sell plants don't think much about inverts unless it's something they specialize in. It's helpful to actually know the people who maintain their aquatics section, so you can find out what they treat their items with.

Unfortunately you almost always have to be suspicious of everything that gets placed inside their environment.

This is why everyone has different types of qt methods & chemicals to dip their plants/decorations in.

Good luck with the amanos you have in treatment.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

I used the bands in my shrimp tanks without a problem, which prob leaves something on the plants.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the helpful information! I do believe you are correct about the plants having been sprayed with something. These were new plants just arrived at BAs that I got. I wasn't aware that they sprayed them before putting them in the tanks.

I won't ever make this mistake again!!!!

As for the other Amanos, they are up and picking over my filter right now in the other tank, so at least I was able to save someone.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

I am sorry to hear your loss. Those are some tuff loses..... Now no more talking about dead TB! I ahve 45 now and 10 more on the way and I dont need bad mojo hitting the forum
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

a friend of mine found this article for me....seems I am not alone in this particular scenario.

Im glad that others do quarantine their plants before adding them to their tanks, but for others not aware of what can be on plants, this article will help them from experiencing another shrimp wipeout.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...stigates%3A_Sh
Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Run some fresh chrcoal on that tank, it can help remove the pesticides.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

thank you I did that as well as a 50% water change, which I will again do in a few days and change out the charcoal bag and filter floss again.

Im just glad I took out all of my adult Taiwans and put them in a new setup tank a few weeks previous, or the devastation would have been unbearable