Red Cherry Shrimp Hours+Breeding
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 AM   #1
Blacktetra
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Red Cherry Shrimp Hours+Breeding

My shrimp seem most active in the evening. My photo period starts at 2pm and ends at 9pm. I don't really see the shrimp till 7 or 8 and they seem to like hanging out afterwards when it's dark.

Anyone else notice habits like this?

If you're successfully breeding RCS then what temperature water do you have, and what is your GH and KH?

I'm not positive I've sexed mine right, but it looks like I managed to get a male and female. (at $7 a pop I can't afford 10) I've had them 2 months now and no eggs. My temp is usually 75-77. PH 8.1-8.0
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate usually zero.
GH and KH test out about 160ish. And my TDS are a nice 190. I'm beginning to think I just need to go hunt for another male at the store and cross my fingers.
Blacktetra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 AM   #2
ichthyogeek
Planted Member

78F, and I add the acid/alkaline Seachem buffer to get to a 7.0 pH...so I think that's supposed to be 10.6 dKh because I add that to RO/DI water. As for GH, I add enough to add 1 meq/L for water changes...I found that the shrimp really respond better when I add equilibrium to the water as opposed to just plain buffered water.

When you say that GH and KH are 160ish...do you mean around 16 degrees ish? or 160ish units?

As for getting more shrimp, look on aquabid. I bet you can find some shrimp for less than 7$, even with shipping costs included. Or put a post in the WTB forum.

What are you feeding them? Tankmates (fish and snails)?

RCS are temperate water shrimp, so they do better at 74F, BUT I find them to breed faster at 78-80F.
ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Ouch $7 a pop where the heck did you buy them a LFS?

You can order on forum really nice ones for roughly $1 per check the sale section.
greenteam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
greaser84
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
My shrimp seem most active in the evening. My photo period starts at 2pm and ends at 9pm. I don't really see the shrimp till 7 or 8 and they seem to like hanging out afterwards when it's dark.

Anyone else notice habits like this?

If you're successfully breeding RCS then what temperature water do you have, and what is your GH and KH?

I'm not positive I've sexed mine right, but it looks like I managed to get a male and female. (at $7 a pop I can't afford 10) I've had them 2 months now and no eggs. My temp is usually 75-77. PH 8.1-8.0
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate usually zero.
GH and KH test out about 160ish. And my TDS are a nice 190. I'm beginning to think I just need to go hunt for another male at the store and cross my fingers.
I keep mine in a PH of 7, KH about 4, GH 8-9, temperature around 70 degrees. If your shrimp are adjusted to your current parameters you should not attempt to change them, it will only cause problems. Instead work on keeping those water parameters the same, that will lead to stability. It takes a couple months for shrimp to start breeding around the clock, it doesn't at all surprise me that your shrimp haven't started breeding. I've got 6 shrimp tanks and I don't recall any shrimp breeding the first two months. Patience is the name of the game. You should check around online you can find shrimp much cheaper than $7 a piece. Post a thread in the WTB/ROAK section and ask if anyone has rcs for sale I'm sure you can get them for $1-2 per shrimp.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
Blacktetra
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
When you say that GH and KH are 160ish...do you mean around 16 degrees ish? or 160ish units?

As for getting more shrimp, look on aquabid.

What are you feeding them? Tankmates (fish and snails)?

RCS are temperate water shrimp, so they do better at 74F, BUT I find them to breed faster at 78-80F.
That's 9 dKH or 160ppm for both GH and KH according to my API drop test. Not super accurate, but enough to do the job.

I'm considering buying online (forums/aquabid/whathaveyou) but shipping tends to bring the price up to comparable levels if all you want are 1 female and 1 male (I already seem to have 2 females, wouldn't that be enough biodiversity for a healthy colony?)

I feed the tetras and guppies in the tank some TetraMin tropical granules. However I don't keep the algae 100% under control and I often put in bits of over boiled kale and cucumber. I only ever see the fish pick at these, not the shrimp. When I see them out and about it's only picking for bits of fish food and algae.

Thanks so much for the input! I may have to crank up temperatures just a touch to stimulate them when I get a male in there.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteam View Post
Ouch $7 a pop where the heck did you buy them a LFS?

You can order on forum really nice ones for roughly $1 per check the sale section.
Yup, I've been considering doing this. I really want to support local business, but that price is just outrageous for something so easily bred in huge numbers.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
I keep mine in a PH of 7, KH about 4, GH 8-9, temperature around 70 degrees. If your shrimp are adjusted to your current parameters you should not attempt to change them, it will only cause problems...
I've got 6 shrimp tanks and I don't recall any shrimp breeding the first two months...
ask if anyone has rcs for sale I'm sure you can get them for $1-2 per shrimp.
Thanks, perhaps I do have a male then. I'll wait another month or so and see. Though it won't hurt to get one or two more in the mean time I'm sure.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
ichthyogeek
Planted Member

My LFS recommended a minimum of 6 to start out with for my 10 gallon. It wasn't enough. I suggest getting 6 more for biodiversity. I had the hardest time finding male shrimp, but it did pay off after a month.

As for tankmates, mine has Danio tinwini and pygmy corydoras. Guppies and tetras will definitely hunt off most of the baby cherries. Especially if you have only a few females.
ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
Yukiharu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I think starting with one per gallon is a good rule of thumb, with a minimum of 5.
10 is ideal. You can probably get 10 PFRs for $20 shipped on the forum
Yukiharu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #8
Blacktetra
Algae Grower

What is PFR? I've looked and the search tool isn't giving me quick answers.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #9
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

PFR should be painted fire red
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 02:39 AM   #10
caique
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

10 PFR's for 20 shipped where could you get this deal.

Never seen them that cheap.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.