How do I get my water Crystal clear?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do I get my water Crystal clear?!

Hi everybody!

For christmas this year I got a 25 gallon high aquarium kit made by aqueon. I love it and it is my first planted aquarium and first aquarium in about 6 or 7 years! Everything is going great, except one thing that bugs me. The tank constantly has small visible particles floating about the tank. It is only noticeable if your right up close but it bugs the heck out of me. The filter is an Aqueon QuietFlow 30. I have tried putting extra mechanical media (bonded blue/white filter pad) in to try to help but it hasn't seemed to helped get the water clearer. Do I need a different media or even a different filter? and if so any good recommendations? I have been looking online at the Fluval c3 and it looks interesting... Or could there be another issue I am unaware of? Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions! Also I attached a pic of my tank!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	82066

- Matt M.
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Well ill start with sand is very fluffy stuff.. it may be sand particles??
It will probably get better with time if thats the case
Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default How do I get my water Crystal clear?!

Hi
I only use canisters, because of tank sizes. you can stick it a finer material as a polishier. it makes a difference. HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Thanks for the response HD Blazingwolf, but im really pretty positive it is not sand. It is bigger than the sand and irregular in shape.. If I had to guess what it was I would say it is simply floating detrius, which is what leads me to believe I need to adjust the filtration. Any thoughts on that?

- Matt M.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
Hi
I only use canisters, because of tank sizes. you can stick it a finer material as a polishier. it makes a difference. HTH

I know you said you only use canisters but do you know by chance if they sell polishers for HOB filters? I was thinking about buying a Fluval 206 canister down the road when I have spare cash if the particles don't subside before then.

- Matt M.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default How do I get my water Crystal clear?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
+1 HD Blazingwolf

Definitely check how the water is returning to the tank. iI the filter a HOB? if so diffuse it with a recycled soda bottle at the out flow. Cut the bottle like the letter"C' then place part of it above the outflow - with the bottom diffusing the water, bottles sre cheap so cut up a few for practice :-)

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Crystal clear water is easily achieved - there's no rocket science involved in doing that - you just have to work at it just a little bit:
- Do a large wc at least once a week (say 50%), vac substrate well with each wc, and wipe the inside glass walls down with paper towelling.
- Use a bag of Seachem Purigen in your filter - change it up & re-charge it about every 3 weeks or so.
- Use double-layered filter floss in your filter - and replace it with new every 2 weeks.
- Use a fine mesh pre-filter sponge on your filter intake - and, this is important - take it off & rinse/wring it out real well every 3 days (takes but a minute).
- Using a UV sterilizer also helps out a lot too, but not essential.

And if you're so inclined, put an AquaClear 70 filter on your tank.

Presto - crystal clear water 100% of the time.

Have a peek at my planted discus tank - running for about 3 years now - water is as clear as this all the time.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
+1 HD Blazingwolf

Definitely check how the water is returning to the tank. iI the filter a HOB? if so diffuse it with a recycled soda bottle at the out flow. Cut the bottle like the letter"C' then place part of it above the outflow - with the bottom diffusing the water, bottles sre cheap so cut up a few for practice :-)

Thanks Aquatics, I will definitely give this a try and see if it helps. Seems straight forward enough AND cheap which is always a plus lol
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Crystal clear water is easily achieved - there's no rocket science involved in doing that - you just have to work at it just a little bit:
- Do a large wc at least once a week (say 50%), vac substrate well with each wc, and wipe the inside glass walls down with paper towelling.
- Use a bag of Seachem Purigen in your filter - change it up & re-charge it about every 3 weeks or so.
- Use double-layered filter floss in your filter - and replace it with new every 2 weeks.
- Use a fine mesh pre-filter sponge on your filter intake - and, this is important - take it off & rinse/wring it out real well every 3 days (takes but a minute).
- Using a UV sterilizer also helps out a lot too, but not essential.

And if you're so inclined, put an AquaClear 70 filter on your tank.

Presto - crystal clear water 100% of the time.

Have a peek at my planted discus tank - running for about 3 years now - water is as clear as this all the time.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011
Thanks DiscusPaul! Some great advice there. I think I may invest in that aquaclear when I can and will deffinitely implement the other methods you mentioned.

Your tank is gorgeous and so clean! The fish are beautiful too! What size tank is that?

- Matt M.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattymo92 View Post
Hi everybody!

For christmas this year I got a 25 gallon high aquarium kit made by aqueon. I love it and it is my first planted aquarium and first aquarium in about 6 or 7 years! Everything is going great, except one thing that bugs me. The tank constantly has small visible particles floating about the tank. It is only noticeable if your right up close but it bugs the heck out of me. The filter is an Aqueon QuietFlow 30. I have tried putting extra mechanical media (bonded blue/white filter pad) in to try to help but it hasn't seemed to helped get the water clearer. Do I need a different media or even a different filter? and if so any good recommendations? I have been looking online at the Fluval c3 and it looks interesting... Or could there be another issue I am unaware of? Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions! Also I attached a pic of my tank!

Attachment 82066

- Matt M.
I only use quilt batting in my filter & my water is always crystal clear, give it a shot. It is really cheap
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

What type of cichlids are those? Do they sift through the sand? If so, chances are they will always stir things up a little. So it may not be a filter issue. However, if they are not sand sifting cihclids an Aquaclear or a small canister like a fluval 206 should help with water clarity. Add a 100ml bag of Seachem Purigen and you'll be set.

Sorry, cant see what type of cihclids those are. Im on my small iphone screen and dont have my "readers" with me.

Last edited by Dx3Bash; 02-07-2013 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Dx3Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattymo92 View Post
Thanks DiscusPaul! Some great advice there. I think I may invest in that aquaclear when I can and will deffinitely implement the other methods you mentioned.

Your tank is gorgeous and so clean! The fish are beautiful too! What size tank is that?

- Matt M.
Thanks Matt
My tank is just over 70 gals (260 L), and I use 2 AC 110 HOB's on it.
I keep it that clean by doing exactly what I mentioned above, except that, because it's discus, I do 2 or 3 - 50% wcs a week.
Try out the steps I told you - believe me - it will work!
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #13
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.sok View Post
I only use quilt batting in my filter & my water is always crystal clear, give it a shot. It is really cheap
Ok thanks I'll have to look into that and maybe give it a shot as well!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
What type of cichlids are those? Do they sift through the sand? If so, chances are they will always stir things up a little. So it may not be a filter issue. However, if they are not sand sifting cihclids an Aquaclear or a small canister like a fluval 206 should help with water clarity. Add a 100ml bag of Seachem Purigen and you'll be set.

Sorry, cant see what type of cihclids those are. Im on my small iphone screen and dont have my "readers" with me.
They are Bolivian Rams, and one Golden Ram. They do tend to sift now and again but its not really a constant thing... but that definitely could be the issue now that I think about it.

Thanks for the thought, you may be right
Old 02-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #15
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Thanks Matt
My tank is just over 70 gals (260 L), and I use 2 AC 110 HOB's on it.
I keep it that clean by doing exactly what I mentioned above, except that, because it's discus, I do 2 or 3 - 50% wcs a week.
Try out the steps I told you - believe me - it will work!
I absolutely will add in those methods into my weekly maintenance. I think it will make a big difference especially since.. and maybe i shouldn't admit this... I have NEVER vacuumed... I always thought that leaving the detrius in the tank to break down naturally was a good idea because its like natural free fertalizer... I mean my ammonia and nitrite stay at zero without vacuuming and I just change the water every time the nitrate gets to 40, so I figured it was good to leave in so the plants could eat the nitrates produced by the waste.

Well thanks again for your reply, I enjoyed learning the methods you use.

Tags
aqueon, filter, filter help, filter media, fluval