Pond Snails I choose you!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
cjj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pond Snails I choose you!

So I had a hydra problem and a pond snail problem. I stopped feeding the shrimp (20 shrimp 55g tank) to hopefully cut down on the hydras but then something really interesting started happening. I noticed small pond snails floating randomly getting tossed around by the water and I couldnt figure out why so I watched (about 2 hrs) and my pond snails are eating the hydras.

Usually the pond snail 1-2 mm goes over the 1 mm hydra and about half the time the snail disengages from the glass and floats around usually taking the hydra with it. The other half the pond snail just keeps going consuming the hydra. I also have a large pond snail about half an inch that just bulldozes a path through them.

In the last 3-4 days the hydra population has been devastated down to about 1-5%. So the pond snails will be staying until I decide to get assassin snails But until then my hats off to you pond snails (numbering somewhere around 50 atm).
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
cantsay39
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

assassin snails do you not worry about the shrimps?? because my shrimps like hover on the snails..
cantsay39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
cjj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantsay39 View Post
assassin snails do you not worry about the shrimps?? because my shrimps like hover on the snails..
assassin snails eat shrimp?
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
cantsay39
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

well well some say it's ok but some says they sting the shrimps and eat em... who knows you want to try
cantsay39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Zenzu
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've seen my assassin snail capture a shrimp and eat it.
Zenzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've been experimenting with pond snail populations in my planted bowls and discovered a rather interesting affect..

Most folks manually remove the largest snails. Makes sense, they're the easiest to see and pull and the most visually offensive. However, when the snail population is heavily weighted to very young snails, they continue to populate like mad. If you leave the largest snails and concentrate on removing the smaller ones, the large ones stop breeding as fast.

I put together a 3g planted vase *trying* to produce tons of pond snails for assassin chow. I pulled a mix of snails from my tanks to populate it, pulling small to medium sized snails to feed the assassins. As the average size of the snails increased, the rate of new hatchings slowed. In fact, despite heavy feeding and excellent water parameters--I've not had a snail hatching in two months. Looking to get more babies, I added floaters from my main tanks with egg masses on them and not only didn't get any new hatching--I caught the older snails munching down on the eggs.

Took a look at my main tanks (37g, 10g) and realized my pattern of leaving larger snails, but pulling small ones (to populate planted vases, feed my rams, etc) had inadvertantly had the same affect: a stable population of mature pond snails with very rare hatchings.

A test vase doing the opposite--seeding it with babies and tiny snails and removing the largest ones as they grew gave the opposite affect--more and more babies being produced til the tank was crawling with 'em.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
I've been experimenting with pond snail populations in my planted bowls and discovered a rather interesting affect..

Most folks manually remove the largest snails. Makes sense, they're the easiest to see and pull and the most visually offensive. However, when the snail population is heavily weighted to very young snails, they continue to populate like mad. If you leave the largest snails and concentrate on removing the smaller ones, the large ones stop breeding as fast.

I put together a 3g planted vase *trying* to produce tons of pond snails for assassin chow. I pulled a mix of snails from my tanks to populate it, pulling small to medium sized snails to feed the assassins. As the average size of the snails increased, the rate of new hatchings slowed. In fact, despite heavy feeding and excellent water parameters--I've not had a snail hatching in two months. Looking to get more babies, I added floaters from my main tanks with egg masses on them and not only didn't get any new hatching--I caught the older snails munching down on the eggs.

Took a look at my main tanks (37g, 10g) and realized my pattern of leaving larger snails, but pulling small ones (to populate planted vases, feed my rams, etc) had inadvertantly had the same affect: a stable population of mature pond snails with very rare hatchings.

A test vase doing the opposite--seeding it with babies and tiny snails and removing the largest ones as they grew gave the opposite affect--more and more babies being produced til the tank was crawling with 'em.
Oh wow!

I have noticed similar experience in my ramshorn pondsnails tank-- I took out a decoration that was covered with smaller snails and put it in my assassin tank.

Now only 3 ramshorns in the 2.5.

I feel bad that I threw my big pondsnails into the assassin tank.
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj View Post
So I had a hydra problem and a pond snail problem. I stopped feeding the shrimp (20 shrimp 55g tank) to hopefully cut down on the hydras but then something really interesting started happening. I noticed small pond snails floating randomly getting tossed around by the water and I couldnt figure out why so I watched (about 2 hrs) and my pond snails are eating the hydras.

Usually the pond snail 1-2 mm goes over the 1 mm hydra and about half the time the snail disengages from the glass and floats around usually taking the hydra with it. The other half the pond snail just keeps going consuming the hydra. I also have a large pond snail about half an inch that just bulldozes a path through them.

In the last 3-4 days the hydra population has been devastated down to about 1-5%. So the pond snails will be staying until I decide to get assassin snails But until then my hats off to you pond snails (numbering somewhere around 50 atm).
Good for team pond snail!

I went ahead and FenBenned my 2.5.

In the Spec V, the hydra come and go-- maybe my snails are eating them!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
garfieldnfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have MTSs and assassin snails in one tank. While the assassins eat large MTSs they will bypass smaller ones. I believe they leave them for their own off spring. My assassins breed in this tank but lately I find less and less baby assassins. I found planaria to be the problem as they seem to eat the assassin snail eggs. I cannot fight the planaria as all of the recommendations usually kill snails as well.
But I like the idea of pond snails killing hydra. I wish we could find a cure for all (not meant sarcastically, but really) of the bugs that ail us
20g L174/L46/RCS/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/Amano shrimp, 10g yellow rili, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys/RCS
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
chou
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
I've seen my assassin snail capture a shrimp and eat it.
and that is why i'm removing them all out of my tank of PFR's. My figure-8 puffer is so happy and fat right now don't got a name for him yet. my gf wanted to name him "octopus" i said nope. what you guys thinK? haha
chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Jdiesels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Pond Snails I choose you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
Good for team pond snail!

I went ahead and FenBenned my 2.5.

In the Spec V, the hydra come and go-- maybe my snails are eating them!
Did you notice any snail deaths? What size doses did you do?

DBP Member 003
Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

There is a picture floating around on here of a Assassin snail eating an shrimp. I remember it was a member here that has the shrimp tank on his desk and looked over and saw the attack happen.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote