Fungus on Eco Complete
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
kperera
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Fungus on Eco Complete

So I am setting up a new tank. Added Eco Complete, a piece of ADA branch wood, and water. Still waiting for the plants, so haven't turned on the light yet. Within a day an opaque white fungus appeared on the wood, and then spread to the EC. The substrate is now entirely covered in fungus. What should I do now? Should I just go ahead and plant the tank? Will the fungus eventually go away by itself?
kperera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

If the fungus started from the wood, it is harmless and will go away on its own with time (though it can be very aesthetically displeasing).

You can remove the fungus manually (use a siphon), and it may or may not come back.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I started a tank back in September w/ eco-complete and had noticed this too. In my case it wasn't quite as bad as what you described - it was only on some of the substrate & some of the bigger stemmed plants in the tank. But it came off very easily and started to go away after a few water changes.

On a side note, I will never use eco-complete again....mainly b/c it screws up my pH (way too high) and all these strange things start popping up in my tank...like that white fungus crap.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
kperera
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Will Excel kill the fungus? I have no fish or plants in the tank right now, so I can overdose Excel, if it would help.
kperera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Wolf19
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I actually have a little bit of this started on my malaysian driftwood and I'm using ADA "New" Amazonia. I'm also in the dry-start process so currently I just wipe it down when it doesn't look great. Spraying it with water makes the opaque color go away.
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.