Eco-Aqualizer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

Eco-Aqualizer

Does this work? Does anyone have any experience with this machine? I want a UV sterilizer, but I have a power filter so I can't be hooking up something that's made for in-line use only. If there is some UV sterilizer that includes a pump for non in-line use then I would like to know where to find one.
mrbelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #2
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes there is one by Jebo that has a powerhead and the UV, you need to add tubing.

I actually bought one at an auction but never got around to using it. I've read that it is pretty easy to overtighten this type and break the threads so I decided to not use it until I need it. Would you like to buy mine? I paid $65 at the club auction for it. I cannot guarantee it, I never used it, never got around to getting hoses for it. I did throw away the box, however, I couldn't fit it into my fish storage area under the cabinet with the box. It really didn't come with instructions anyhow. I think they retail for $100, I'm thinking this one was 9 watts.

As for the Eco-Aqualizer, personally I never understood how it was supposed to work. But then, I never put magnets in my shoes or wore magnetic bracelets either.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Eco-Aqualizer = a slippery or viscous liquid or liquefiable substance not miscible with water obtained from a limbless scaly elongate reptile.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Nathan!

Anybody remember when the folks who manufactured this product threatened to sue one of our more "cantankerous" forum members over such disparaging remarks?

Lets just say no one I know on this forum or in my area seems to use one and leave it at that.

Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 02:50 AM   #5
riverrat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

I'm not sure if your interested in this type of uv sterilizer. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...181#post164181
I have one and it works well. I use mine only when I feel the need.

riverrat
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 AM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Nathan!

Anybody remember when the folks who manufactured this product threatened to sue one of our more "cantankerous" forum members over such disparaging remarks?

Lets just say no one I know on this forum or in my area seems to use one and leave it at that.

Mike

I didn't think anyone would remember that

I called this product snake oil in an APD post a few years back and the nob that owns that joint claimed that I single handedly caused his business to drop 40%.

Now that's damn good. If I have that kind of power I should be getting paid every time I mention a product in a positive light.

You want my thoughts on the Eco-Aqualizer? Try here.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
You want my thoughts on the Eco-Aqualizer? Try here.
Applause! Well done.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru

There are some "technologies" floating around now that I would call religions, not technology. I've found that these mainly include crystals and magnets.

Some of these systems include the Eco Aqualizer (a series of rare earth magnets mounted inside a PVC tube) - magnets, and the "Plocher Energy Accumulator," known as Penac - crystals.

Both are projected to work the same way... as far as I can figure out, they assert that billions of molecules in any ecosystem form complex patterns and links, and in a closed system, the molecules get all "mushed" together over time, losing their natural patterns and arrangement... and this either directly or indirectly (or both) causes poor tank health. The Eco Aqualizer purports to "break apart" and "renew" the "mushed up" molecules and rearrange them in such a way as to make the tank healthier by running water through a tube with a series of rare earth magnets mounted and embedded in the tube. (Their "demonstration" even suggests that toxic substances get stuck inside "mushed up" molecules making it so they can't be filtered out by mechanical, chemical, or biological filtration!)

Penac is supposed to work the same way, but it's even more bizarre. A man named Roland Plocher from Meersburg, Germany invented a super secret device called the "Plocher Apparatus." No one has seen the inside of this machine or seen any schematics on how it works. Nevertheless, he uses this machine to make powders called Penac. He believes that "holograms" of molecules in a renewed, natural state can be transferred from substances into the Penac powder, then the Penac powder can transfer those holographic patterns back into the water or soil to (just like the Eco Aqualizer) "renew" the mushed-up molecular patterns and "xerox copy" the renewed or refreshed holographic molecular patterns from the Penac to the water/soil. (If you look into Crystal Therapy, you'll find it's grounded in the same beliefs; Penac is basically "Crystal Therapy for soil.")

Some investigation into the Penac powders have revealed them to be either crushed quartz or crushed calcium carbonate.

The problem with these "technologies" is that it is impossible to scientifically test them. They instead rely on the faith in the beliefs of the people who invented (or "discovered") them. Not science, not technology... religion.

Take a look at this if you've never seen it:

http://www.alexchiu.com/eternallife/index.html

Rare earth magnet product, and the guy is completely serious. To me, it's absolutely no different than the Eco Aqualizer or Penac. It's religion.

Now, keep in mind, I don't think this absolutely completely 100% guarantees that rare earth magnets and so called "holographic powders" might not provide SOME type of benefit to a tank. It's just that if they do, there's absolutely no scientific data available at the present time to demonstrate what the benefits are or how they come about. For example, Penac is sold in the Aquarium Trade by ADA, and they recommend sprinkling a thin layer of it down before laying the substrate on top of it. But some people have long used dolomite (Calcium Magnesium Carbonate) the exact same way... sprinkle a layer down, then put the substrate on top. What's not to say the benefits of Penac vs. Dolomite are not one in the same?
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Took a look at the link you provided. I have a way to test his device. Let him adorn his body with them and then expose him to spray a mist containing the live Ebola virus into his sinuses.

Same for the Eco-Aqualizer. I made this offer to the nob who owns the company. Take a 10 gallon container of water. Let me introduce toxic levels (to a human) of something into the water. Then let the water run though his device for 30 days on a closed loop. Then he can drink the water.

Note that none of these people who push this stuff will accept any type of test that would prove that their device either works or doesn't if it involves their own health. I call that not a religion or faith but a scam.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru

Wink

I'm being polite... some religions are scams... Scientology, anyone?
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
TWood
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
...some religions are scams...
Only *some*?

TW
TWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
andrewwl
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to andrewwl
Smile

I'm not afraid to say it: the eco-aqualizer is an absolute joke and anybody who even considers its validity needs to reconsider their common sense and save their hard earned money.

I saw a site where it was disassembled. PVC with the hardware store markings still on the side and regular electrical tape holding two (EDIT: several) magnets against the pipe.

Imagine the profit margin. When an order comes in, this guy cuts off the end of a pipe, wraps some electrical tape around it with the magnets, and glues the label and caps on. If you paid X dollars for it, 1 dollar went into the product, and X-1 dollars went into his pocket.

Nobody should feel bad if you hurt this "business" with truth, because its not a business, its theft of people's money by making false claims about a "product", and tricking them into buying it.

That being said, hopefully somebody here can recommend a unit that actually does something.
andrewwl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #13
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

If you can provide a link to the site where one was ripped apart I would really appreciate it!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #14
andrewwl
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to andrewwl

Sure Rex, http://www.inlandreef.com/Testing/EcoPhotos.html
andrewwl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #15
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Oh Joy! I'm adding that link to my page.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.