Finnex Ray II for high light 90 gallon?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
hypophthalmus

PTrader: (0/0%)

Finnex Ray II for high light 90 gallon?

I'm planning on starting a planted discus tank with high light and CO2 injection.

Originally I was thinking of getting a 4x54w t5ho fixture with individual reflectors and running two of the lights normally and all four for a few hours in the middle of the day.

But I came across the 48 inch Finnex Ray II fixture and it seems like it might be a good alternative and save me a lot of money in bulbs.

But I'm not sure how the intensity compares. Would two fixtures be roughly equivalent to 4 t5ho bulbs?
hypophthalmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

It depends on which 4 bulb fixture you want to compare it to. Two Ray II's will allow you to grow a lot of plant varieties but if you think about it - a Catalina 4 bulb T5HO fixture puts out a lot of light (even for a 90) and costs less than two Ray II's.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Sugardaddy1979
Sic em

PTrader: (12/100%)

Par on ray 2 is in their thread on here. Maybe that will give you some direction.
Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
hypophthalmus

The four bulb catalina was one that I was looking at, along with the tek (which seems to be disappearing).

The price difference between the catalina and two Ray II's is about 125 dollars. But then I figure I'd be saving about $80 a year in bulb which will make up for it. But if I need more LED fixtures than that it starts to be not worth it.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypophthalmus View Post
The four bulb catalina was one that I was looking at, along with the tek (which seems to be disappearing).

The price difference between the catalina and two Ray II's is about 125 dollars. But then I figure I'd be saving about $80 a year in bulb which will make up for it. But if I need more LED fixtures than that it starts to be not worth it.
PAR for the Catalina 4 bulb (per Hoppy's chart, which I believe uses a modified version) is ~65 at 24" with no water. 1 Ray II is 50 at 24" with no water. On the other hand a 4 bulb AquaticLife fixture gives you well over what you'll need in a 90g. A hint with the AquaticLife fixtures: buy 2 2 bulb fixtures instead of 1 4 bulb fixture and link them together (it's cheaper and you can adjust the light spread). 1 Ray II is $160 and 2 AquaticLife T5's would be $280. If you'd need another LED fixture you'll be way over the T5 price. IMO I'd still go with a Catalina since I'm pretty sure Hoppy's chart isn't using the one on their website and I've heard that it provides excellent light for demanding plants.

Ref:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
hypophthalmus

Hoppy's chart seems to say that at 25", going from 2 bulbs to 4 on the Catalina fixture increased the PAR by about 70%.

If the same is true for the Ray 2, then having two fixtures on would result in a PAR of 85. Would that be excessive for 4 or so hour bursts?

Either way, it sounding like I definitely won't need more than two fixtures, unless I'm trying to grow coral in my freshwater planted aquarium. So between the lack of bulb replacements and the lower energy consumption, the LED fixture is sounding good.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
PAR for the Catalina 4 bulb (per Hoppy's chart, which I believe uses a modified version) is ~65 at 24" with no water. 1 Ray II is 50 at 24" with no water. On the other hand a 4 bulb AquaticLife fixture gives you well over what you'll need in a 90g. A hint with the AquaticLife fixtures: buy 2 2 bulb fixtures instead of 1 4 bulb fixture and link them together (it's cheaper and you can adjust the light spread). 1 Ray II is $160 and 2 AquaticLife T5's would be $280. If you'd need another LED fixture you'll be way over the T5 price. IMO I'd still go with a Catalina since I'm pretty sure Hoppy's chart isn't using the one on their website and I've heard that it provides excellent light for demanding plants.

Ref:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

I just got a 3x54watt T5 from Catalina aquariums
All I gotta say is legendary !!!!!
I have it on my 72 bow front , n the min I turned on the lights, my fish were swimming for joy !!!!!! N my red flame sword plants put new leaves out within 2 days !!!!!
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote