Terrarium Newt & Toad Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-27-2003, 02:42 AM   #1
corey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is a Pic of my Firebelly Newt and Toad Tank. The tank has been running for about 5 years and my 3 Newts are about 11 years old and my 2 Toads are about 8 and 5 years old. They eat twice a week. I feed them pinheads, chopped up earthworms and the odd time I will toss in a few guppys or minnows. The Toads make a lot of noise. There croak is more like a whistle and they are croaking for around 8 hours a day.
The plant in the middle. red green purple and yellow leaves is called a Tropical Josephs Coat (as far as I know). It is a great hardy plant. The tank is filtered buy an Aquaclear 200 which is hidden in the left corner. I attached a hose to the end of the filter intake and I have it running under the gravel, through the Lexan divider (Lexan is like plexi-glass only it is very workable when heated). The hose ends in the right corner and draws in the water threw the filter and then exits onto a waterfall that I have built with rocks. The land area is made with the Lexan divider and is filled with a small bag of large gravel covered with window screen. Then a layer of Carbon (for the smell), then the carbon is coverd with window screen. Then there is a layer of soil and sand mix and then all of this is covered with peat moss. The water is heated to 72 and the filter only has two sponge media in it. The tank has worked out very nicely and it is placed in my oldest sons room. This is a pic of the tank but I will try and post pics of the Newts and Toads later.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

Very nice. Can you talk more about the land area? What is the size and orientation of the lexan divider? Did you put rocks in front of that to make it look more natural?
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:45 AM   #3
corey
Algae Grower

Digger I will post a more pics of the set-up. I'll make sure you can see the Lexan divider better. Give me a couple of days and I will post them.

I didn't use rocks to cover the Lexan but I did use sand. I put some aquarium silicone on the Lexan then poured the sand over it. It worked out good.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Zurp
Planted Member

I love the tank, but I really hate that 1960's Tupperware gravel. Since you have a lot of greens and dark logs, why don't you go with a more natural stone, like riverbed tan or brown rocks?

That gravel seems kid-ish, or circus-like... Reminds me of cotton candy, or a gum-ball machine. Also, try and find a forest background, or tropical background, the water-scape background looks out of place.

Just my opinion! Great work, also try adding some floating leaf plants.
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote