fighting the green stuff
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 09-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
Deuce868
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

As you can see I have been pulling a lot of algae out of the tank lately.

I have cut back the lighting from 12 o 10 hours. (220W All Glass PC on 70Gal) I keep my NO3 around 10 and have been adding my flourish trace twice a week as per instuctions. I have not added any root ferts yet. The plants seem to be doing great, everything in my tank is growing wildly and all the plans have been in the tank for several weeks now (see my journal thread)

Is there any particular cause of this type of algae I need to be looking at? Is it just general and keep up the tearing it out and letting the plants settle in more?

here is a pic of some of it around the plants

I get a lot of it in the bottom of the tank in the gravel and around the lower level plants growing there. (a pain to get the gravel peices out of it when trying to rip it out)

Thanks for any input.
Deuce868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Algae is caused by imbalance. You've got your NO3 in order, but what about PO4? Could be too high or too low. Too much PO4 and the algae gladly oblige to grow on it. Too little PO4 and the plants can only use so much of the PO4, leaving plenty for the algae to grow on.

If your PO4 and NO3 are in balance (1 part PO4 to 10 parts NO3), then I'd next suspect Potassium. Flourish Trace supplies micronutrients, but your K supply might be a bit low. If potassium is the limiting growth factor, that leaves both NO3 as well as PO4 for the algae to happily grow on.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
Deuce868
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok, I ordered some flourish phosphate and a test kit and I will see if that helps out.

Thanks