Did I add too much dirt and gravel?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Question

Did I add too much dirt and gravel?

After setting up my aquarium and leaving it for a day, the water was completely cloudy white. I knew it was from a bacterial bloom, but after researching, some state that it was due to excess nutrients. Could I have added too much dirt and gravel contribute to cloudy water? The dirt was level at 1 1/2 inches then sloped up at around 2 inches. The ratio is the same with my gravel. So, is the problem nutrient excess or bacterial bloom? And will this lead to other problems?
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
whickerda
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

"excess nutrients" is a relative term and isn't very helpful to the discussion of this problem. It's perfectly normal and expected for a newly set up tank to experience this. Patience and bio-filtration will resolve this.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

After 1 day? That's not bacterial bloom, that's just dirty water. Give it a few days to filter out.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Doesn't seem like a bacterial bloom. Just do water changes. When you dirt a tank it's suggested that you do a few big water changes before you let it sit. Make sure to fill it slowly so you don't cause an uproar.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yesterday I emptied out and refilled my tank with water twice, and today I did about a 50% water change and the cloudiness seems a little bit less. I'll guess i'll wait it out.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

It will be cloudy for a couple of days as well tannins will make your water brownish. It's normal due to the soil. Keep up with water changes and should clear up.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I wouldn't worry about the immediate things that are going on. As others said, it just seems a bit early.

I do think that it's a bit too much soil. Though I haven't had issues with extremely large slopes or deep substrate in general, I have had issues with too much soil. It can go anerobic much more easily. Water can't easily flow through it and it compacts. You can try poking it a lot to avoid this. I find once roots grow into it, it's less likely to happen but it still can. If I use any soil now, I only use a fraction of what most people use, 1/8-1/4 inch, and still seem to get the same results.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.