Is this ok to use in place of dolomite?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is this ok to use in place of dolomite?

As the title suggests. Stopped in at lowes to check some things out. Been wanting to make a new batch of mts, and this looked like it had calcium and magnesium in it. Anyone familiar with this product? Second pic in another post since my phone is only letting me upload one at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	80570  

bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Product makeup

Second pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	80586  

Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm sure one of the MTS folk will give a better answer...

I imagine you could use it, but it looks like it's pretty lacking in the Magnesium (Dolomite is a mix of Magnesium carbonate and Calcium carbonate). I think that the presence of Magnesium is why a lot of people use dolomite, as opposed to just Calcium carbonate limestone/aragonite

Maybe you can use something else to add magnesium to the mix...
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well what I have been planning on doing is rinsing some of my spare crushed coral I took out of my reef tank until my refractometer reads that the rinse water has zero salt content left. And I was just going to use Epsom salts as the magnesium portion until I saw this bag. The analysis on the back says that in addition to the heavy calcium, calcium oxide, and calcium carbonate it ALSO contains magnesium, magnesium oxide, and 14% magnesium carbonate as well. Just didn't know if the various forms were ok or if the concentrations were right, or if I am at risk of unlisted contaminants. Anyone used this product? I did some google searching and found nothing
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Dolomite dissolves very slowly in water. Calcium carbonate in most forms dissolves more rapidly. I think that is the primary reason for using dolomite instead of whatever form of calcium carbonate you might use. I don't see any reason why the stuff in that bag wouldn't work fine for MTS.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

After doing a fair amount of reading I'm gonna pass on this product. Read a few articles stating that MgO can be pretty toxic plus I don't know what else it may have in it.

The good news is I located muriate of potash. No pottery stores in the area so I paid up and purchased a box of API first layer laterite which should provide the iron. Also started the first soaking and drying cycle on two big bags of Earthgro topsoil. I had a bunch of crushed coral left over that I pulled from my reef so I am soaking that in ROdi water and changing it daily while the soil is mineralizing. That ought to draw all of the salt out, and I'll just use Epsom salt for the Mg element.

People say MTS works so well but is too much work. Luckily for me I don't really find it that bothersome so hopefully this batch turns out better than the last. It's been 2 years since I paid any attention at all to my planted tank so I am long due for an overhaul! Thanks for the replies.

Also, anyone have any ideas or articles they can point me to that outline specific amounts of these things needed for a 75 gallon?