advice on poor 10g lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

advice on poor 10g lighting

Everyone at my office is into local CT fish, not too suprisingly since its the state inland fisheries office. But Im trying to get them all interested in aquatic plants as well. So Im setting up a 10g that I had laying around with spare pieces a few of us had...
For lighting, I started with a desk lamp with a bright CFL, but as we all know it wasent the best coverage and the arm that held the bulb kept creeping down twords the water... So we had a 30" single bulb flourecent fixture, the standard black plastic one. Its the same that I have on my 20l and my 20l grows low-med plants perfectly with low maintenance and looks bright. But this fixture seems really dim over the 10g.. It has a 24" bulb in it and it hangs over each end of the aquarium slightly but there is almost no light spill. It had some pink bulb in it and I replaced it with a new zoo-med 6500k. great color but it still seems noticably dimmer than my 20l at home. do the ballasts or starters or whatever is in there get old and not light up as well? and can I replace it?
If not I will have to get a new fixture which I want to avoid. so far the whole thing is set up and ready to be planted and it cost $18. and all $18 was for the bulb. When I have that CFL on its blinding and lights up the tank nice, but the flourecent light which is a few watts brighter is less than half as bright.
Need cheap ideas! lol this post turned out longer than I thought it was going to be....
metallicanick78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

For lighting a 10g you can get a used/new hood and screw some CFLs in it (I'd go with 10-13W CFLs for a low tech and 23W if you want to dose excel or use some DIY CO2) and that shouldn't cost very much. I've done this plenty of times and it works even better than some of the expensive T5 20" fixtures in my experiences. As for the tube lighting - you can replace just about any ballast you want but you have to ask whether or not it's worth it. Dimming light is indicative of either a dying bulb or a bad ballast. If it's just a cheapo black tube fixture then you might be better off getting a Ray II or an Aquaticlife T5 instead of going through the hassle of tracking down a new ballast and fitting it.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good point, Im thinking Ill return the bulb and put that $18 twords a new cheapo black plastic single tube..
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
elbandito78
Algae Grower

I hae two 13watt cfl's on my ten gallon and it has worked pretty well for about a year now.
elbandito78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicanick78 View Post
Good point, Im thinking Ill return the bulb and put that $18 twords a new cheapo black plastic single tube..
Awesome! I've found that a hood, though, helps if you have fish that are notorious for jumping.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
reddhawkk
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Check out Walmart for an incandescent hood, they might still have one. I have one on my 15 tall with two 13W 6500k spiral cfl's and the plants are doing great. Another good place to find one is at a fish club auction. There are several coming up, check out the Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies website. Look up the local clubs and check out the dates of their auctions.
RAOK Club #55
reddhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

sweet thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

Traded the T8 bulb I just bought back in for an aqueon incandecent 2 bulb hood as per this threads original advice... The single tube was just so dim even with the new bulb and I dident think the ballest would be cost effective. I think the plants are suffering, especially the R. Vietnam and the fissidens. Id hate to go too far the other direction though. You guys that said your using two 13w cfls, you calling that low-med light? not using co2/excell and still not getting algae?
And do you guys have to take off the plastic splash gaurd/shield on each side or does a CFL fit under it? It says only use incandecent bulbs, but this is the hood were all talking about right? lol
Old 02-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I changed out my incandescent bulbs to these from walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10448675?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Default advice on poor 10g lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicanick78 View Post
Traded the T8 bulb I just bought back in for an aqueon incandecent 2 bulb hood as per this threads original advice... The single tube was just so dim even with the new bulb and I dident think the ballest would be cost effective. I think the plants are suffering, especially the R. Vietnam and the fissidens. Id hate to go too far the other direction though. You guys that said your using two 13w cfls, you calling that low-med light? not using co2/excell and still not getting algae?
And do you guys have to take off the plastic splash gaurd/shield on each side or does a CFL fit under it? It says only use incandecent bulbs, but this is the hood were all talking about right? lol
That's the hood I have on my 10g with 2 13w CFL and everything I put in the tank thrives. Fissidins, any moss, java fern, Anubias, Bacopa, and any crypts grow amazingly. In fact I take plants out of my other tanks and place them in the 10 if they are struggling. I don't use C02 or excel in my 10g although I do use DIY C02 and excel in most of my others
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...des-tanks.html
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks dude, Thats what I was looking for. Basically the most light I could get without being on the verge of algae all the time.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
hiittman
Algae Grower

I'm basically doing the same thing,would these bulbs be good?
Amazon Amazon
hiittman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ended up with 14w 5000k bulbs from HD. would have prefered slightly higher K rating, but I dont hink the plants will notice. with 2 of them in that hood its soooo much brighter visually than the 20w t8 I had on it. I bought some 18w 5000k at HD too and they dident fit, even with the plastic bulb gaurd taken off... but I think the 14s look just right. and for $3.98 for a 4 pack, you cant go wrong lol!
Hitman, those look almost identical to what I just put in but with a higher K rating. that should work perfectly for you!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
CallMeSteveO
Algae Grower

Where did you get the fixture at?
I was thinking about doing the same thing!
CallMeSteveO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.