questions for the one two punch thread
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

questions for the one two punch thread

I would like to know if using h2o2 would be harmful to fish? I know its says its not but could someone please explain this to me.
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
AlanLe
Gurus Master

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default questions for the one two punch thread

Just take all of your fishes out, do the treatment, change water and put the fishes back in.
AlanLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

All chemical algae treatments are potentially harmful to fish.

As a real-world example, have you ever tried using H2O2 as a mouthwash? Use a little, preferably mixed with some water, and it leaves your mouth clean and fresh. But use too much, for too long, and it will leave your mouth irritated. More still will seriously burn you.

It's trickier with fish, since their gills are more sensitive than your mouth. And the line between being effective on algae, and causing serious injury or death to fish, is smaller.

The "One-Two Punch" uses several techniques - like optimizing flow, and relying on a combo rather than H2O2 alone - to reduce the risk of H2O2 use. However, it does not fully eliminate risk. Plus the full treatment and dosages as I've written are intended to be a strong one, meant for serious situations where you are willing to take some risk in order to get the desired results.

You can of course modify the treatment, and therefore the risks, to suit your situation - and I encourage people to do so. If the fish can be removed, then AlanLe's suggestion is a great one.

If you only have a small bit of algae, then there is no need for my treatment, as there are others which will usually suffice. H2O2 spot treatments at no more than 1 tbsp. per 10G are virtually risk-free, for example; as once that amount of H2O2 disperses throughout the tank, it's too diluted to have any real effect on fish or algae.

I hope this has adequately answered your question. You are welcome to post in my thread or this one as you prefer with any questions or concerns, I will answer them all truthfully with no bias to my own method. And I welcome all feedback, positive or negative.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

So i take the objects covered with the diatoms out and directly squirt h2o2 on it?
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

A spot treatment infers it's done in-tank. This limits how much H2O2 you can use, and therefore how many spots you can treat.

What you're describing - taking plants out, and immersing or spraying them with diluted H2O2 - is considered a dip instead. Suggested times and concentrations vary, and some plants are more sensitive to H2O2 than others. I'd suggest reading some of the threads on H2O2 dips to see a variety of opinions.

You will still have to find and correct the cause of your diatoms.

Every living thing in your aquarium affects its environment. Sometimes the algae affects the environment in a way that tends to produce more algae. Kill the algae, break the cycle, and the algae is truly and permanently cured.

But that is the exception, not the rule. Most of the time there are other, bigger issues. And then a chemical treatment is only a clean-up, not a cure. In cases of severe algae, they only buy you additional time to find the real problem.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote