Potassium Dosing: Should I?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-06-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, I have algae problems. I have narrowed it down to high phosphates. I have phos-zorb in my filter, and it has only slowed it but not enough. I am thinking about dosing potassium, because I heard that it will make my plants use up phosphates faster.

What should I do?
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2003, 03:06 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

I would... it's balance that you want to achieve. So if you have high PO4 but no K, IMO thats worse than having high PO4 and sufficient levels of other macros.

A level of 20 ppm is recommended, and you can figure out how much K2SO4 or KCl you need to add with Chuck's calculator http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

If you are concerned with overdosing, just half the amounts. A little less than optimum is still much better than zero.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2003, 06:01 AM   #3
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Thank you for your wonderful input. How do you recommend dosing potassium? What do you use. I have also read that CO2 will help stimulate plant growth. I notice you have a DIY CO2 setup. How did you achieve this? Sorry for all of the questions, but I really appreciate your knowledge.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The answer to pottasium dosing is almost always yes. If you're not dosing pottasium there's probably none in your tank. Unlike other nutrients like N and P, potassium doesn't get introduced from food or fish sources.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrmiller
How do you recommend dosing potassium? What do you use. I have also read that CO2 will help stimulate plant growth. I notice you have a DIY CO2 setup. How did you achieve this? Sorry for all of the questions, but I really appreciate your knowledge.
Personally I dose 1 tsp of K2SO4 with every weekly 15% water change. But... as it has been said before, what works for one might not work for another, and I might change what I am doing next week just need to add this disclaimer to not get slapped around too hard.

I got the K2SO4 from someone mixing fertilizers, but do a search on this board to get some other possible sources.

Regarding my CO2, I am using two three liter soda bottles, and dissolving 100% of it leads to good CO2 levels (tapwater ph=7.6, tank water 7.0). Here is a good reference for DIY setups: http://www.corydorasworld.com/jlv.htm
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #6
Saluki
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

One source of potasium is potasium chloride. This can easily be obtained from the grocery store as "No Salt" brand salt substitute.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.