My idea
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
eodmike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My idea

Hey so I have an idea but I'm curious if anyone would think its interesting or not.

I want to do a package almost like what GLA does for the PPS-Pro method.

I do have a few differences though. My idea without giving out too many details will make the process near bullet proof. No measuring on your end. I would include the bottles a method of dosing that will make it super easy and accurate. The exact ammount of chemicals you need.

The reason I'm thinking PPS-Pro is because of how simple that method already is. You dose 1ml per 10 gallons a day of each bottle. No need to do big water changes and it gives you healthy growth.

Now if it isn't fast enough growth you can up the dose and not worry about harm. Basically by the time you get to 2 or 3ml per 10 gallons your doing EI and will need a bigger water change. So the question is if you saw this kit at your local fish store would you think about picking it up instead of 4 or 5 bottles of Seachem or Aquavitro?

I think it would be nice for new people in the hobby. I always felt overwhelmed when looking at 5-8 bottles and hearing when and how much of each I should dose. I think it would be nice option to say hey you can buy this kit. Its 2 bottles put this much in everyday. Run out and no need to buy the whole kit again just buy this "refill" package.

Lets say the starter package cost $30 and treated 4730 gallons of water. The refills lets say cost $15 and gives everything you need to replinish your starter pack.

Is this at all interesting? If not is there something simple to make it better?

Thanks
eodmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Stella Blue
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Yes that's a great idea for someone just getting into dosing ferts...... I would of picked that option over Shechem when i first started using ferts!

But, Dosing a 75G with a $30 kit that treats 4730G would only last 2 months(if i'm correct?). I'd still be better off buying dry from GLA and mixing it myself, a PPS-Pro Pack from GLA would last over a year dosing a 75G at around the same cost!

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Peccator
Algae Grower

That sounds like a great idea. As someone who is just starting to consider dosing and is currently picking through all the info surrounding that, this sounds like a God send.
Peccator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
eodmike
Algae Grower

Quote:
But, Dosing a 75G with a $30 kit that treats 4730G would only last 2 months(if i'm correct?). I'd still be better off buying dry from GLA and mixing it myself, a PPS-Pro Pack from GLA would last over a year dosing a 75G at around the same cost!
You are right it would be cheaper to order from GLA. Your also right your 75 Gallon would be treated for 63 days if you dose what is suggested.

I guess the advantage to my idea is that you wouldn't be ordering offline (I know it seems trivial but some people want it right now). The next advantage is that you get the chemicals in the right amount for what your doing. You just dump them in add some water and your set to go. So you can't mistake the amounts or mix it wrong. Just put the proper packs in the proper bottles and your set to go. Finally and the advantage I really like is my bottle. I guess I'll give it away. The bottle fills a syringe so you can get exactly the ml you need. So I guess thats cool +. Also the kit includes a funnel to help you get what you need into the bottle. I bought GLA's kit and I love it. But I didn't like having to find a funnel, measuring out the amounts. Double checking to make sure I got it right. GLA has the hidden cost of a funnel, a scale, and a method to dose. I know that they give you a dosing bottle but the smallest graduation is 5ml I have a 29 gallon and lots of people have between 10-50 gallon tnaks. This would hit those needs. So any added advantage here? Then the refills are only $15 then you have 2 months more of chemicals. Online is a different game. I have to figure in my cost + profit then I sell it to a store who has to mark it up. So I think compared to Aquavitro or Seachem you are getting away a lot cheaper. Compared to GLA well they win hands down. But GLA isn't sold locally.

If we compare what you can get local to what I plan lets see what we get.

These prices are from an online dealer. No shipping included and I know I can't get them for this locally. So best case for Seachem

Lets use 60gallon tank since thats the example I can do quickly.
-Flourish Potassium 250ml $5.89 100ml a week to get to 20ppm gives you $2.35 a week
-Flourish Phosphorus 250ml $5.89 48ml to get to 1ppm gives you $1.13 a week
-Flourish Nitrogen 250ml $5.89 30ml to get to 10ppm gives you $.71 a week

So no Micro just Marco and your at $4.19 a week

My kit gets you Micro and Macro for $2.66 a week until you need a refill then the refill gets the cost down to $1.31 a week for a 60 gallon. Not bad. Now I know that buying online and measuring and doing all that gets you down to pennies but not the market I plan to be in and I have less hassle. So thought? I really want to hear them.

Quote:
That sounds like a great idea. As someone who is just starting to consider dosing and is currently picking through all the info surrounding that, this sounds like a God send.
That is exactly the market I want to target. It takes tons of guess work out. I want to include a card in every starter kit that explains exactly what you need to do per 10gallons and how to tweak it to increase growth if so desired. I think I may even make kits to ship to reach people outside of Michigan but I'm not sure I can compete with the likes of GLA unless the ease is worth more moeny.

Last edited by eodmike; 02-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Stella Blue
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodmike View Post
You are right it would be cheaper to order from GLA. Your also right your 75 Gallon would be treated for 63 days if you dose what is suggested.

I guess the advantage to my idea is that you wouldn't be ordering offline (I know it seems trivial but some people want it right now). The next advantage is that you get the chemicals in the right amount for what your doing. You just dump them in add some water and your set to go. So you can't mistake the amounts or mix it wrong. Just put the proper packs in the proper bottles and your set to go. Finally and the advantage I really like is my bottle. I guess I'll give it away. The bottle fills a syringe so you can get exactly the ml you need. So I guess thats cool +. Also the kit includes a funnel to help you get what you need into the bottle. I bought GLA's kit and I love it. But I didn't like having to find a funnel, measuring out the amounts. Double checking to make sure I got it right. GLA has the hidden cost of a funnel, a scale, and a method to dose. I know that they give you a dosing bottle but the smallest graduation is 5ml I have a 29 gallon and lots of people have between 10-50 gallon tnaks. This would hit those needs. So any added advantage here? Then the refills are only $15 then you have 2 months more of chemicals. Online is a different game. I have to figure in my cost + profit then I sell it to a store who has to mark it up. So I think compared to Aquavitro or Seachem you are getting away a lot cheaper. Compared to GLA well they win hands down. But GLA isn't sold locally.

If we compare what you can get local to what I plan lets see what we get.

These prices are from an online dealer. No shipping included and I know I can't get them for this locally. So best case for Seachem

Lets use 60gallon tank since thats the example I can do quickly.
-Flourish Potassium 250ml $5.89 100ml a week to get to 20ppm gives you $2.35 a week
-Flourish Phosphorus 250ml $5.89 48ml to get to 1ppm gives you $1.13 a week
-Flourish Nitrogen 250ml $5.89 30ml to get to 10ppm gives you $.71 a week

So no Micro just Marco and your at $4.19 a week

My kit gets you Micro and Macro for $2.66 a week until you need a refill then the refill gets the cost down to $1.31 a week for a 60 gallon. Not bad. Now I know that buying online and measuring and doing all that gets you down to pennies but not the market I plan to be in and I have less hassle. So thought? I really want to hear them.

That is exactly the market I want to target. It takes tons of guess work out. I want to include a card in every starter kit that explains exactly what you need to do per 10gallons and how to tweak it to increase growth if so desired. I think I may even make kits to ship to reach people outside of Michigan but I'm not sure I can compete with the likes of GLA unless the ease is worth more moeny.
You're totally on point.....

If you do calculate the scale/tools and labor it'll be be way cheaper and easier than the Seachem line, let alone the confusing Seachem dosing chart!!

I think your on to something!!

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
eodmike
Algae Grower

I could make it available online. I wouldn't be able to compete with GLA price. But I could beat my LFS price and make it online for $25 and $10. Easy, fool proof, still cheaper options but hey can't win them all. I think my wife has given me a go ahead to do a prototype and a small run. I'll keep you all posted.