Temperate Rainforest
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Temperate Rainforest

I think I may have messed up using the slate for this instead of a rounder stone...

Anyway I want to keep the flat piece of driftwood as a focal point of the tank and then add in plants around it to suggest an actual sized slice of rainforest. Crypts come to mind for fern like plants, and I may need to take out the myrio as I'm not sure it will fit in with my idea.

Suggestions for plants or other things I might add to emphasize the rainforest theme?

Last edited by Kudaria; 02-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: added image
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Kudaria
Planted Member

Well I found a scene of the type that I would like to recreate, now I'm just trying to think of what plants would work.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Temperate Rainforest

I would say use some moss to cover your slate, may be difficult to get the moss to attach, then maybe some java fern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Kudaria
Planted Member

I did cover two pieces of slate with the moss. One of them is in the front left of the tank. I was thinking now that I would bury those pieces into the substrate so that they appear to be flat pieces of moss covered ground.

I picked up a stump like piece of driftwood today that I'm planning on taking a saw to so that it will fit in the back left corner of the tank. As soon as I get some more moss I'll go ahead and cover it with moss too.

I also picked up some moss balls which I think will work rather well with the scape. I'm not sure whether or not to just leave them in their ball form or open them up and use them to cover some rounded stone.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaria View Post
I did cover two pieces of slate with the moss. One of them is in the front left of the tank. I was thinking now that I would bury those pieces into the substrate so that they appear to be flat pieces of moss covered ground.

I picked up a stump like piece of driftwood today that I'm planning on taking a saw to so that it will fit in the back left corner of the tank. As soon as I get some more moss I'll go ahead and cover it with moss too.

I also picked up some moss balls which I think will work rather well with the scape. I'm not sure whether or not to just leave them in their ball form or open them up and use them to cover some rounded stone.
You should try buying oval/round shaped stones and attach fissidens fonatanus. It should help recreate the look you want.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would add a slope to substrate. It looks a little flat for a scape.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Kudaria
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
I would add a slope to substrate. It looks a little flat for a scape.
I agree, which I why I ordered another bag of substrate. It should be here Wed. and I'll add it to the tank to create more of a slope. That's what I get for trying to do it with a tad bit less than two bags.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Kudaria
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
You should try buying oval/round shaped stones and attach fissidens fonatanus. It should help recreate the look you want.
Oh wow, that's a beautiful moss and it sounds like it will cling to the stones by itself after awhile. I'll definitely add that to my list of mosses and keep an eye out for it.

I'm starting to think, that like in the picture, a few different types of mosses will add some visual interest to the scape. My question is how many different types? I've already got christmass moss and marino algae balls and now I'll likely add the fissidens to the mix. Should I stop there or go with yet another type of moss for four different looks.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mini pellia and mini fissidens, are also nice but very slow growers.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I certainly agree that you need to slope the substrate. I also think you need to be adding a lot more height with your rocks (or wood). Once your moss grows you will find it hard to see you even have rocks there.

I agree with I3raven. But you ought to be able to find suitable rocks without buying them. Even in a city.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

first get round stones they are called river rock around here. landscape supply place or a river. then deff moss fissens would look great but get a couple others for a dash here and there
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

It might work to mix some riccia in also and some bolbitis for that ferny look.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
Kudaria
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
It might work to mix some riccia in also and some bolbitis for that ferny look.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that bolbitis, it does look like a fern. Right now I've got some Green Gecko's and a Blyxa Japonica along with the mini pelia moss coming in the mail along with some fissidens.

By the end of the weekend I should have some new pics up with whats been done so far.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reminds me a bit of the Hoh Rainforest. Gotta love having both rainforest and desert in the same state, hahaha. Not nearly enough moss though.
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
Kudaria
Planted Member

Alright I did a bit of work on this tank tonight. Everything for it hasn't come in yet but a few things did, namely the fissidens and bacopa australis. I'm expecting in a few more plants - Blyxa Japonica, Crypt Green Gecko, Hygrophila 'Tiger', Limnophila Aromatica, and a small bit of mini pellia and notocyphus lutescens mosses.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what to do with the marimo balls...can you cut those and place them upon a rock?

Last edited by Kudaria; 03-02-2013 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: added image