changing shrimp water with diff ph
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

changing shrimp water with diff ph

I woke up and realized I didn't know the answer to this.

I just bought some substrate to lower my water ph in anticipation for some shrimp I plan on getting.

Target water ph is 6ish, and I have 8+ water.

How do I do a water change with such drastic differences in water ph?

Will dripping in be okay?
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Hey Bryce, here's what I'd do. I would either drip it in OR go to Walmart and get a few jugs of their RO water. Test it. My Walmart water tests at 6.4 pH, and about 2-3 TDS. Not sure if that's going to be the same for all RO water at Walmart or what (it says Drinking Water on the label). The gallons are .88 each. THEN, when those are empty I'd take them to the little refill machine and get it for .37 cents a gallon (these are just the prices for mine, yours may vary). These also test at 6.4 pH and about 5 TDS or so coming from our local machine. Keep 3-5 gallons on hand at all times, remineralize as you need to and use that water. The reason being is it's going to keep from exhausting the substrate so quickly plus it's going to hit that pH right where you need it to be every time, no worrying about dripping in. And for the 3 gallon, gosh, a few gallon jugs will last gosh, 2-3 months. I think that would take a lot of stress off of the situation My .02 on it anyway!
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Small water changes spread in the course of several days.

Change something like 5% in 3-4 days.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Hey Bryce, here's what I'd do. I would either drip it in OR go to Walmart and get a few jugs of their RO water. Test it. My Walmart water tests at 6.4 pH, and about 2-3 TDS. Not sure if that's going to be the same for all RO water at Walmart or what (it says Drinking Water on the label). The gallons are .88 each. THEN, when those are empty I'd take them to the little refill machine and get it for .37 cents a gallon (these are just the prices for mine, yours may vary). These also test at 6.4 pH and about 5 TDS or so coming from our local machine. Keep 3-5 gallons on hand at all times, remineralize as you need to and use that water. The reason being is it's going to keep from exhausting the substrate so quickly plus it's going to hit that pH right where you need it to be every time, no worrying about dripping in. And for the 3 gallon, gosh, a few gallon jugs will last gosh, 2-3 months. I think that would take a lot of stress off of the situation My .02 on it anyway!
My walmarts water is identical..I also use the one marked spring water which comes from north louisiana (so you may not be able to get it the same) it tests at 6.4 ph 0-1 gh 0-1 kh ad 12 tds..same price btw also. I use an air hose to slowly add rather than pour in just to stress the guys a little less.
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Love the different answers. So many creative ideas for doing it.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

When you guys are buying the RO water from Wally(wal-mart) does it say RO water or is it just drinking water? Can you take a pic of the water your buy?
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I think they are talking about the water machine that you fill your own jugs with. If not, that's another option, or distilled water.

You might also consider investing an your own RO/DI unit. Cheaper over the long run. Good unit will cost $100 or slightly less.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

LOL Have an RO unit. (I knew someone would bring that up.) The water bounces back to 8+ even with almost no TDS. (I know, I know. Impossible right? Yet other people seem to have that happen as well, and not just me. And nothing in the tanks to bounce it.)
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

After you make some RO, why not put a drop or two of vinegar in it to lower ph? If it's really under 20 tds that should lower the pH with no problem.

I don't even bother changing the pH of my water
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

I'll try that, Liam. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

TDS = gH <> pH

Don't know about CO2 molecules but my RO water reads 0 dkH. If you don't have carbonates in water there's nothing getting the pH up besides the water from the source or you're doing something you're not telling us.

pH 8 needs a lot of kH to be that high or special treatment with lots of Oxygen bubbles. AFAIK there's two ways to mess with pH:

1 Chemically by adding an acid (vinegar for example) or a base (some form of hydroxide)

2 By changing the CO2 concentration in the water. At the bottom of it it's the same as the first method since CO2 will generate H+ ions just like adding an acid would.

I compiled an article about the chemistry in the aquarium from internet sources. However, it's in my native language. I might translate it provided no copyright is claimed on the information. It's basic chemistry after all
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Awesome! I'll pm you later and see of we can get to the bottom of the mystery. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
kuro
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
LOL Have an RO unit. (I knew someone would bring that up.) The water bounces back to 8+ even with almost no TDS. (I know, I know. Impossible right? Yet other people seem to have that happen as well, and not just me. And nothing in the tanks to bounce it.)
I'm pretty sure it testing error and since it has no TDS there no way you can accurately measure with ph test kit/pH probe since there no ions/buffering to read. It either ph of 7 or lower when water expose to CO2, pH will drop to 6ish. So don't worry about the ph 8 thing and change your water normally.

Canon Pimp Club #038
kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro View Post
I'm pretty sure it testing error and since it has no TDS there no way you can accurately measure with ph test kit/pH probe since there no ions/buffering to read. It either ph of 7 or lower when water expose to CO2, pH will drop to 6ish. So don't worry about the ph 8 thing and change your water normally.
RO water is around 7.1ph *whew* tested it today.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Im not too sure how RO units work exactly but it seems like maybe yours might need new filters or something? just a guess!
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote