The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nano 8x6 inches (update 4/21/06 on last page)

18K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  ianiwane 
#1 · (Edited)
what do you guys think?

11/21/2005

No filter on yet. Ordered a nano filter, and coralife mini aqualight. It is an ocean free tank thanks to Boun. Substrate is ada aquasoil.

Update 12/03/2005

Got the mini aqualight (18 watts) no filter yet. Things look like they are growing. Soon I will take out some plant species. Any opinions on what I should take out or leave?

Plants
Juncus repens
Polygonum muricatum
Hygro sp red
Hemigraphis trian
Downoi
Utricularia sp.
weeping moss
Ammania sp Bonsai

Fauna
Cherry shrimp
Male endlers

Ian

See less See more
#9 ·
Raphael said:
Well, you can but it's not recommended, you need a filter to keep it going and you'll find yourself doing water changes very often without one.
That's not really true. In nature there are no filters...everything is a cycle.

Plants will naturally take in ammonia and nitrite. If there were no plants in there- that would be a different story.

#10 ·
Raphael said:
Well, you can but it's not recommended, you need a filter to keep it going and you'll find yourself doing water changes very often without one.
the only thing a filter will really be doing is mechanical filtration anyway. But like I said I am getting one. Plus the endlers and cherry shrimp don't have much of a bioload, I put one flake it and they do not finish it totally.

Ian

#11 ·
you dont even need a filter. I didn't use a filter on my 75 gallon. If the plants are growing, they are filtering the water. If you do 2 waterchanges a week you shuld be fine. IMO, no nano tanks should have filters. They are too big for such a small tank,and make it look ugly.

#12 ·
I made a homemade filter for my 5 gallon... I simply found an empty fish food container, punched a hole in the center of the lid, stuck a tube connector on a tube, put it in through the hole, opened the lid, and added gravel from a cycled tank. You could also add filter floss to this. I then connected the tubing to an air pump.

I careful hid my "filter" in 10 lbs. of gravel. You could get an air diffuser (sp?) to slow down the flow.

No tank should be without a filter, besides betta tanks (since they don't like a strong flow).

#13 ·
i have my nano 1 gallon running now for almost three weeks without any filtration or waterchange. it has a 9 watts over it. the plants are growing well. I beginning to see algae on the glass. I think I will have to clean it soon. I did ordered a nano filter from bigals just didn't have time to p ick it up from my friend yet :)

#21 ·
ianiwane said:
let me know how that works out Marc. I did not get the nano filter yet bigals was out of stock, they shipped everything but the filter. I did take another picture, let me know what you guys think.
I found this on APC and it was exactly what i had in mind.

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=87&page=1
http://forum.o-fish.com/viewtopic.php?p=159121&sid=050d852d51e76d5aaf0196154f78780a
http://www.aqugrass.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9668

#23 ·
ianiwane said:
i hear you figgy but I am also trying to see what will grow in the tank.

Ian
Gotcha--I do the same!

The filter Marc just posted looks like what you'd get if you followed Goldfishcrazy's homemade directions. As slick as it is, I still wouldn't bother with a filter on such a small tank--just too visually obtrusive to my eye...and you definitely don't need a filter to cycle a tank--if something poops or rots, chemistry happens!

Fig

#26 ·
shuks said:
IMO, no nano tanks should have filters. They are too big for such a small tank,and make it look ugly.
figgy said:
just too visually obtrusive to my eye...and you definitely don't need a filter to cycle a tank--if something poops or rots, chemistry happens!
I agree completely.

Just as a data point, I've had a 2.5 gallon tank for a year with no filter, no heater, no water pump. Just good lighting, good substrate, and good plant growth. It's doing great. Very healthy tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.