Question for all you Pleco people
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Question for all you Pleco people

What pleco species work in a planted tank? Also, note what size they get, as I feel anything smaller than 5" might be too small for my tank (my 75 is the thing in question). Used to have a common species that only got to 7" in 5 years time, but that died after Sandy and all that madness. I'm looking for something that can clean up a bit of algae and detritus, and also just look cool (since I do like the appearance of pleco species).

Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
fishwater
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The problem with many plecos is just that, they get to big and mindlessly uproot your plants and basically bulldoze your aquascape. It is this reason that bristle-nose, and zebra plecos (ancistrus and hypancitrus sp) are commonly sought after for planted tanks. If you want a big pleco then anything in the Hypostomus sp. will most likely work for you.
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

rubberlip pleco or rubbernose or bulldog, all referring to one of a couple different species under the genus chaetostoma. Cool looking plecos with a subtle beauty. Ancistrus type more so than panaque types or hypancistrus. It gets up to 7in though most dont, probably varies with species and other factors, milesi being the most common but thomsoni are available too and are very similar. They are peaceful and algae eating machines.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bristlenose Plecos are a good size for a 75 gallon tank, are great algae eaters, safe for plants.
There are several species, and some color variations of the most common species.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
GnoixuoS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

BN are pretty nice, something like the starlight BN i find a beauty. Just keep in mind that some plecos do spend most of the time hiding and you may never get to see them.
GnoixuoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

BN pleco aka Bristel nose pleco. They are the BEST fish. I miss mine so much. They will keep a tank nice and clean and are always out doing something.

I have a old female Clown pleco that I don't think will ever die she is almost 6 years old now. I have put that fish threw so much over the years. She works well in a planted tank. She is boring and hides all the time but does not hurt the plants. she keeps wood spotless. Not so much rocks.

Otos are the best for a planted tank and a must have imo. Look at Pitbull Plecos they are a bit bigger then Otos they are really cool.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Pitbull plecos I read are similar to oto's, also cool is the zebra pleco, my favorite pleco and fish.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.