diatom filters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-05-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
firefish44
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I need top set up a Diatomatious earth filtration system for a 55g with a chronic green water problem (see post below). Currently running a FILSTAR XP2 as main filter. Anyway to set it up with DE in a mediabag or something like that, or do I need to purchase a seperate DE filter (like the Whisper)? None available at petstores to rent around here. I also have an old aquaclear 300, any DIY experiences with these things? If i need to purchase a DE filter I will, but cheapest i've seen is one for about $80 at Dr.s Foster/smith, and i hate to spend that for a temporary filter.
firefish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Some canister filters like the Magnum's can be used as a DE filter.. but most cannot.

Usually you end up buying a full blown DE filter for water polishing.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 01:31 AM   #3
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Diatom's dont necessarily have to be a temporary filter.

Before my planted tank days most of my aquariums had a lot of structure like wood , stone and even yes ...plastic plants ops: for the beneficial bacteria to grow on so all I really needed was to keep the tank water free of the tiny debris that can build and cloud water.
I would run the filter for about a 3 hour period every 3 days and the tanks were always sparkling clear. I would recharge it every 3 weeks or so but it was maintaining 2 tanks so that really wasnt that bad.
Planted tanks can be a little different however since many times we have very little structure in our tanks for bacteria beds to grow on because we fill the tank with plants instead of structure :lol:
Thats where the canister filters are prefferred because they do the job of both, they filter the water for particles as well as maintain a good bacteria colony.

But I tell ya, I ran nothing but a UGF and a Diatom in all my tanks for years without trouble, the water looked good enough to drink
Old 09-06-2003, 05:08 AM   #4
rossi32s
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to rossi32s Send a message via AIM to rossi32s

Diatom for GW huh.... well I am at the ending stages of winning the battle.

I had tried a DE VOrtex D1.... It would clear it up for a day and then come right back.

I tried several blackuts... Helped a little but it came back....

I stopped adding EVERYTHING TO THE TANK. nothing but 1wpg and some O2 since the GW eats the O2 up and it would suffocate the fish. After 4 weeks of DOING NOTHING the tank is improving. It gets better and better by the day.

See below thread for the old pics. I'll go take a pic of how it looks now also.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...sc&start=0

My advice.... WAIT IT OUT. THere an excess of something in the tank. filtering it just lengthens the cycle of letting the GW absorb it.
rossi32s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:08 AM   #5
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I'll disagree on this one. It took me three or four recharges of the diatom filtration, but once I cleared out the last of the GW it never came back, after the tank had been under the dubious care of my parents for five weeks. Sometimes it takes a little something dramatic to get you 'over the hump' of an algal bloom. In some cases, you may have corrected the original trigger for the bloom and the algae is just hanging on for a while. In that case, I see nothing wrong with getting the algae out sooner by any means rather than waiting for it to die off. I prefer it, actually.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

fire fish,

I am running into a problem with the GW...tank is pretty hazy...not sure if its the food or what. The fish eat some but ignore the rest on the top....using Hikari flakes, Tetra Flakes, and Hikari mini pellets. Feed in the am and pm....reduced to just once feeding per day of a little pinch.

On another subject, I ordered a HOT MAGNUM 250 that I use to polish the earth and got it from Dr Fosters and Smith cuz I wanted it fast. I havent used it in about 5 days.
I charge it with DE from the local pool store...big box for 7 bucks!

Ill search for my post and put a link to this here shortly if I can dig it out...shows how I run it.

I would LOVE to get the tank under control....hate having to run the DE filter every now and then....would just like to have clear water.

Mike

pH 6.8, GH 8-9, KH 6, Nitrates 2-5 ppm, phosphate from .1-.2 ppm, temp 80-83F

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Mike,

GW and the fishing having ich are probably related. What are your water values?
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #8
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rex....

Water values posted in last post on this.....

pH6.8-6.9
Temp 80-83
Nitrate 5.0 ppm (aq pharm test)
Phospate .1 to .2 at most now at .1 (red sea test)
GH 8deg (aq pharm test)
KH 6deg (aq pharm test)

Feed fish either tetra flake, hikari flake, or hikari micro pellet....fish dont eat all of it fast...put very little in but the stuff on the top stays.

Could it be that the little spot on the 2 neons and the one ram is not ich? It is just a white spot. Looks like ich but may not be.

Also...do you think I should add an airstone to the tank for night? Find some of the fish swimming at the surface in the AM when the lights come on. Not sure if with the pH around 6.8, low surface agitation, and all the plants...perhaps the night time oxygen levels are too low.

Mike

Old 09-07-2003, 01:16 AM   #9
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Your water is OK, its probably just a fungus you have if they are only single white spots. Normally they will get it in damaged spots. There are plenty of good fungus tablets available.
ICH med's never seemed to kill fungus for me, only ich :?
Old 09-07-2003, 01:20 AM   #10
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Buck perhaps it is only a fungus....it is a spot on my ram and a spot on two of the tetras....nothing else

How would I know the difference???????

. Raising my temps up to 85 or so now. Will see how that goes....working on getting a 20 gallon long for a quarantine tank (hehehehe excuse to make planted one but calling it a quarantine...LOL).

Mike

Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #11
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've had cloudy green water for about the last month and finally got rid of it by using the diatom filter method. I used an old magnum 330 filter I had and bought a bag of the diatomite earth powder at a pool store and used it in conjuction with the magnum micron cartridge. The results were fantastik, in about 12 hours the water was crystal clear. The filter is cached with green aglae. That method really does work well, thanks to the folks on the forum for that tip.
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:33 AM   #12
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was just curious, what exactly is diatomeous earth power? It works exellent on green water algae but was wondering if it takes other things out of the water such as minerals, nutrients, and what not. How long would it be good for in an aquarium filter under normal operating conditions? Sorry, I'm just so amazed at how well it worked to clear up my water I want to learn more about this magical moon dust we speak of.
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #13
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Am I the ONLY person here who knows what Google is?

http://www.whitemountainnatural.com/diatomaceous.html
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #14
Deuce868
Algae Grower

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?google

Sorry, can't find it :P
Deuce868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:08 AM   #15
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru