BBA on older leaves..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Kado
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

BBA on older leaves..

I've had e.tenellus growing in my tank for about a month now. Its been growing nice and the leaves are turning a nice red color. But some of the older green leaves have been taken over by bba and are wilting. I can't see any bba on the red leaves.

40b moderetly planted
7h lighting period/ 1 hour siesta in the middle
3x 21w T5no
DIY hood/individual reflectors
DIY co2 3x 1l bottles
ISTA mix max inline reactor
Ferts daily ADA step 1, ADA Brighty K per instructions
Aqua Soil
Weekly 20% water change

I've done some research, but the normal solutions such as excel and upping co2 is kind of a no go. Can't find excel here and still working on finding a place that sells pressurized co2. The LFS only sells little 65g cartridges CO2 systems. That will be waaaaaaaay to expensive in the long run.

So far I've just trimmed off what I could.

Should I try reducing the lighting? Maybe just 2x 21w T5s (I'm afraid that this may just cause more problems)?

or could this just be a the e. tenellus adjusting to the new environment? maybe leave it alone for a while and see if it gets better?
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Pretty common with diy c02 because it creates a fluctuation in c02 levels. Do a very good job trimming, get as much of it as possible. Look on here for excel alternatives, metricide 14 is essentially the same thing as excel, and cheaper(not sure of availability in japan though). You can also try hydrogen peroxide with a syringe in the affected areas you cant trim. turn off the filter and squirt some peroxide on the bba and let sit for 20 min before turning the filter back on. try running two lights and not using the siesta time( i assume that was the third light) and see if that improves things.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Kado
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks I'll try the hydrogen peroxide trick first. I've seen some other types of chemical co2 at the LFS, but everything is in Japanese and I can't read 100% of it. I may take my chances on one of those.

I want to try and keep reducing my lighting as a last resort. My plants look so much better then they did from the LFS.
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
Thanks I'll try the hydrogen peroxide trick first. I've seen some other types of chemical co2 at the LFS, but everything is in Japanese and I can't read 100% of it. I may take my chances on one of those.
Take a picture if you can; I can translate.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote