Advice on the right PL for my Fluval Edge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
timfok
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Advice on the right PL for my Fluval Edge

OK so I've just done this:

This isn't my actual tank, but I've done the same modification with a spare base.

This gives me a lot of under hood real estate for a PL bulb. But I'm a bit of a novice in this, so need some advice on what to put underneath it.

I've found this bulb, it's a 26W daylight PL bulb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-MAST...9741972&sr=8-5

My worries - Is it sufficient to light a heavily planted tank on it's own?

Will I have to consider ventilation (do these generate a lot of heat?)

Thanks
timfok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
defender.TX
Algae Grower

I'm not an expert on Fluval Edge's by any means - but it looks like that one has the original halogen bulbs. Is it the 6 or 12 gallon? I would be very worried about putting too much heat into the tank by adding anything and running the original halogens. Have you considered LED?
defender.TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
timfok
Algae Grower

I currently do have two Mr16 LEDs.

These are an upgrade to the smaller mr11 LEDs that are supplied with the tank.

I don't want to go down the LED route further as the par levels on them compared to fluorescent are poor, meaning a heavily planted tank would suffer.

The modification I've done is added the extra tier of hood (the one that doesn't have the grill on top).

I want to know what fluorescent bulb I should put in there and what I can get away with in terms of ventilation requirements (or lack of) and wattage.

I hope to only require one fluorescent bulb, leaving me the option to change the led bulbs to blue bulbs for night time ambience.

It's a 6 gallon by the way
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
defender.TX
Algae Grower

If you're dead set on Fluorescent, you might want to try fitting the fluval power compact 13W driver and bulb from the Flora/Ebi line in there. I would recommend ventilation. One idea is to put a small 40mm computer fan on the back of the nice enclosure you built on the left, and cut some ventilation holes on the back on the right. That would pull air around from the right, over the light and balast, and exhaust it out on the left. It might be a little noisy, but it would work.
defender.TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
timfok
Algae Grower

I'm not dead set on fluorescent, I've just been recommended this over LED due to poor par levels produced by LEDs, as I want a heavily planted tank (albeit will be selecting easy to maintain mid to low light requiring plants).

Yeh the noise worries me about a computer fan, as the tank is in my living room so will definitely be noticed.

Will one 13w by sufficient for a heavily planted tank? Is 26w too much for 23L?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
Ozymandius
Algae Grower

Whoever advised you against LED is probably looking at several generations ago. Modern LEDs are being used in favor of fluorescents all the time. Many of the marine reef applications also use LEDs. They compare favorably with the metal halid bulbs for everything but the very deep reef applications, ie they can sub for a 250 watt MH but not for a 450 watt. I think you should be able to find lots of LEDs that work.
Ozymandius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.