over run by algea
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

over run by algea

I need help! Im over run by algea and dont know what to do. A little background info. About 8 months ago I purchased a ten gallon tank for my 2 year old daughter. The first 3 months everything was fine but I decided I wanted some live plants so I purchased 2 plants. (Not sure of type) with in a few weeks the algea formed so I cut back to feeding every other day and lighting 5-6 hrs a day. That didnt change anything. I was told to get a bigger filter so I got a 25 gallon filter. That didnt help. Ive even tryed chemicals to no avail. Just a few weeks ago ny rubber lipped pleco died and now my plants are turning black. I dont know what else to do about the merky green water and blackening plants. Any help wiukd be greatly appreciated.
ecacmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Can you post pics? It's helpful to see what algae you have. From the sounds of things, you might have green water algae. To get rid of that requires a black out. But post some pics and lets see what's going on in your tank.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

I will take some picture later, the tank is in my daughters room and she just went down for a nap. Im pretty sure its a green water algea but im not sure about the blackening plants. There is also an off whiteish grown on the bottom rubber of my heater and no where else. Ive scrubbed it off several times just to have it come back a few days later. When you say black out, do you mean no light at all? Wont that harm the plants and daily cycle of the fish?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

this one is the whole tank (i know its low on water, it gets this low every other day) they are live plants except the one on the right.
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1381780463
this is a close up of the center plant
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1381780457
this is the whitish growth on the bottom of the filter. it only takes 3-4 days for it to start to return after completely scrubbing it off
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1381780450
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looks like brown algae. How often are you doing water changes and what are your parameters like? What kind of light do you have on that tank?
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

I do a water changed about once every week and a half or so. Water test show everything is right. I just have the regular fluorescent light that came with the kit. The fish all seem happy. The onky death in 6 months has been my pleco
Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecacmechanic View Post
Water test show everything is right
For what the fish or the plants? It looks to me like you have a fish tank with some plants in it, not a planted tank. Your plants need a certain amount of light, co2, fertilizer to thrive (just like the ones outside.) The plant on the left is an Anubias and it can't be buried in the gravel. It needs to be attached to something (rock/wood).

I would do some reading on the basics of keeping a planted tank. They do require a certain amount of specialized needs and maintenance. If that isn't something you want to do then stick with plastic.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

I never said a had a planted tank. I figured i would try some live plants and see what happens. If they died, I would go back to plastic but they have all been alive and growing for 6 months. They started turning black about the last month. Thanks for your input on the plants but im concerned about the algea and what to do with it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
thejoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

How long do you have the light on each day?
thejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, you confuse the heater with the filter. You have calcium deposits on it, from what I can tell.

Fret not, the light you are using it's not used properly or it's no good for the plants. They're doing poor and there's plenty of nutrients in the water to better feed algae instead of plants. How old are the lamps? Have you changed any of them recently?

I don't see many or large fish in there but your oxygen saturation might be low because of... I assume, heat. Try turning down the temperature to not more than 26 degrees Celsius.

Try putting in an airstone and also try to figure out the basic water parameters. We'll explain along the way what are each.

The basic ones are pH/gH/kH any pet store should have them. For your particular case, ammonia (NH4) and nitrate (NO3) could be required. They can tell if your tank is cycled or imbalanced.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-16-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: no need for insults
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

My bulb is the original one from 8 months ago. I didnt think I needed to change it out. I bought the plants because I assumed they would put more oxygen in the water. As far as fish I have 2 tetras 2 danios 2 albino catfish and a red tailed shark. Im starting to think I should just empty the tank and start from scratch with no live plants
Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

Sorry I did confuse heater and filter. In the previous post I said heater. I dont know why I said filter the second tine
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can start from scratch but you might also try to find out what you're doing wrong now as to not repeat the experience.

Sorry, I must've missed your first post or the one you referred to your heater.

For instance, besides the awful color. The gravel you're using allows food leftover to sink between the gravel bits. They're not accessible to your catfish and begin to decompose, further lowering your oxygen saturation and causing an ammonia spike. It's not that bad if you have a good filter with bacteria grown in it as the bacteria will feed on the ammonia. However, if you overfeed. The bacteria can become overwhelmed or not quick enough to eliminate all the ammonia. Any bottom dwelling fish like your pleco, for instance, can be affected.

Also, if you clean the filter regularly, or under tap water. That affects the bacteria which eats up your ammonia. Without it, the only fish that can survive the torment are the hardiest or the ones that have some tricks up they're so called sleeves and are able to tolerate the ammonia levels in your tank.

In the hopes of a good restart, read up on the nitrogen cycle. It's the first thing you NEED to know about ANY aquarium.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-16-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: enough with the insults
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Everyone starts somewhere. I recommend researching up on the nitrogen cycle also if you haven't already, it will help explain quite a bit of what is happening in your tank. How much are you changing at a time when you do a water change? To assist in controlling the algae, lighten up on feeding, keep your light cycle low (6 - 8 hours, max), and increase your water changes to 25% twice a week until the algae is in control. Adding an air stone like previously suggested will introduce more oxygen into your tank, which will also help. After that, weekly 25% water changes will assist with keeping the algae down. You could also do water changes with distilled water (make sure it's as close to the same temp as possible). Tap water has quite a bit of fertilizer in it that can cause algae blooms if there are other factors involved, like overfeeding. Most fish stores will test your water for free (if you don't have a kit. You seem to know the water is ok already). If you do have a test kit, make sure it is a drop solution and not the strips (very inaccurate). Flourescent lights need to be changed out every 6 months, they aren't useful at all after that. You could consider upgrading your light, but it sounds like you want to keep things simple. Anubias need to be out of the substrate. You can easily attach it with a rubberband or fishing line to a rock, ornament or driftwood. Leave it there for a few weeks to a month to let the roots 'grab hold' of the hardscape, and it will love it. Hope this helps.

Also, that Red Tailed Shark will outgrow your tank quite fast. You might want to think about rehoming him. He also can get quite aggressive.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by Ashnic05; 10-15-2013 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: .
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
ecacmechanic
Algae Grower

I just went and did another water change (25-30%) and when I touched the leaves of my plants they just fell out so I tossed them. I have one of those test strip kits and according to that all of tthe water levels are in the safe zone. But I dont know trust worthy that is. All of my fish seem very happy. All are active and playful except the shark, he stays under the drift wood 75% of the time. I do my water changes with well water if that at all makes a difference. What type gravel would you recommend then? Sorry for all the questions. This is my first tank on my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.